Postdoctoral Research Associate - Combined Heat & Power and Energy Efficiency
Oak Ridge National Laboratory is the largest US Department of Energy science and energy laboratory, conducting basic and applied research to deliver transformative solutions to compelling problems in energy and security.
We are seeking a Postdoctoral Research Associate who will support the Manufacturing Energy Efficiency Research & Analysis (MEERA) Group in the Manufacturing Science Division (MSD), Energy Science and Technology Directorate (ESTD) at Oak Ridge National Laboratory (ORNL) to work in industrial energy efficiency and combined heat and power (CHP) technology research and analysis area. MEERA group’s mission is to research, analyze, and disseminate knowledge on energy, water, and material efficiency in the manufacturing sector and develop, deploy, and promote impactful practices, tools, and technologies in the field of energy, water, and material efficiency.
- Conduct research in Combined Heat and Power (CHP) technology, distributed generation, and micro grids
- Perform gap analysis in current CHP technology deployment strategies and market barriers
- Perform strategic analysis (life cycle assessment and techno-economic) for CHP with biogas, biomass, renewable natural gas, hydrogen, and hybrid fuels area
- Collaborate in multidisciplinary teams that are composed of researchers from various areas of expertise in and outside ORNL
- Present research results to ORNL staff, DOE, industry, and academia in the form of invited talks, topical reports, conference papers, and peer-reviewed journal papers
- A PhD in Mechanical Engineering, Electrical Engineering, Industrial Engineering, or a related field completed within the last 5 years
- Knowledge of combined heat and power (CHP) systems, renewable energy systems with strong analytical aptitude
- Knowledge of industrial and/or commercial/institutional energy use and systems
Must be willing to travel. You will be involved in meetings with DOE sponsors in Washington, DC and will attend key conferences and workshops. Travel will be periodically required to visit federal facilities and industrial plants.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
- Motivated self-starter with the ability to work independently and to participate creatively in collaborative teams across the laboratory
- Ability to function well in a fast-paced research environment, set priorities to accomplish multiple tasks within deadlines, and adapt to ever changing needs
Please submit three letters of reference when applying to this position. You can upload these directly to your application or have them sent to email@example.com with the position title and number referenced in the subject line.
Instructions to upload documents to your candidate profile:
- Login to your account via jobs.ornl.gov
- View Profile
- Under the My Documents section, select Add a Document
Applicants cannot have received their Ph.D. more than five years prior to the date of application and must complete all degree requirements before starting their appointment. The appointment length will be for up to 24 months with the potential for extension. Initial appointments and extensions are subject to performance and the availability of funding.
Moving can be overwhelming and expensive. UT-Battelle offers a generous relocation package to ease the transition process. Domestic and international relocation assistance is available for certain positions. If invited to interview, be sure to ask your Recruiter (Talent Acquisition Partner) for details.
For more information about our benefits, working here, and living here, visit the “About” tab at jobs.ornl.gov.
This position will remain open for a minimum of 5 days after which it will close when a qualified candidate is identified and/or hired.
We accept Word (.doc, .docx), Adobe (unsecured .pdf), Rich Text Format (.rtf), and HTML (.htm, .html) up to 5MB in size. Resumes from third party vendors will not be accepted; these resumes will be deleted and the candidates submitted will not be considered for employment.
If you have trouble applying for a position, please email ORNLRecruiting@ornl.gov.
ORNL is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants, including individuals with disabilities and protected veterans, are encouraged to apply. UT-Battelle is an E-Verify employer.