Data Science Intern (Summer 2022)
Hi, we're Oscar. We’re hiring Data Science Interns to join our Data team for Summer 2022.
Oscar is the first health insurance company built around a full stack technology platform and a relentless focus on serving our members. We started Oscar in 2012 to create the kind of health insurance company we would want for ourselves—one that behaves like a doctor in the family.
About the role:
As part of our 12 week internship program, you will have the unique opportunity to work alongside an exceptional group of data scientists while developing hands-on experience in a fast-paced environment. Your growth and success are paramount to us: You’ll have the direct guidance and mentorship of one of our experienced Data Scientists. We'll make sure that you have a thorough understanding of the different types of problems we’re solving; so that you can work on projects that not only excite you, but drive meaningful, real-world impact.
Oscar’s data team is focused on pushing our understanding of the complex health care landscape. Insurance companies sit on a trove of data that is both broad and deep, spanning financial claims, clinical medical records, and rich product interaction data from our members. Connecting the dots across these datasets gives us unique insight into how the healthcare system functions and allows us to improve care coordination, better manage risk, build higher-performing provider networks, and create a standout consumer experience in our product.
We are looking for curious, data-minded individuals to join our team of 30+ researchers, data scientists, and analysts to leverage our efforts!
You will report into a Data Scientist. This is a hybrid role, and you will work part of the time in the New York office and part of the time working remotely.
Sample Projects Include:
- Using member engagement data (calls, text messages, website activity, interactions with Oscar app, etc.) to help make our member experience better
- Evaluating the results of population health and disease management programs
- Predicting which providers our members will use in a given market
- Analyzing how our membership’s clinical needs differ from a broader population
Who You Are:
- Currently enrolled in an undergraduate or graduate degree program and scheduled to graduate in 2023
- Excited to take part in reinventing healthcare
- Have experience using data science tools like SQL and Python (or other relevant technical tools)
- Basic knowledge of statistics
- Interested in working closely with business stakeholders