Data Analyst II
N Consulting Engineers is fast-growing civil engineering and technology consulting company located in Irvine, CA. We are looking for a Sr Data Analyst to join us on our quest to further invent and innovate.
Are you driven by curiosity? Do you love the iterative process of development? Do you instinctively put yourself in the minds of the users and clients? If you are, come join us. You will help the Data Analytics team deliver beautiful, insightful reports, accurately and on time. You do this both by driving the business's reporting themselves, and by training/coaching more junior members of staff to deliver reports. You liaise with both internal and external stakeholders to anticipate their needs and help to foster a data-led culture. You should be able to work with both technical and non-technical teams to define and measure key business metrics, and use them in beautiful, insightful reports.
- Interprets data, analyzes results and identifies opportunities for new reporting.
- Validates data by continually reviewing both reports and data sources for accuracy and consistency.
- Independently creates and maintains reports and dashboards in Excel and Power BI.
- Adheres to (and helps improve) department standards and best practices.
- Coaches more junior members of the Data Analytics team on technical issues and may act as a line manager.
- Administers and improves the data management system, including deployment pipelines.
- Documents client and internal reporting, including the reporting catalogue and data dictionary.
- Can understand and manage the ontology of our client and internal data independently.
- Partners with non-technical Project Managers to develop reporting suites for their projects (including setting KPIs).
- Works with internal and external stakeholders to define clear signals of success with simple, easy-to-understand metrics.
- Expert-level proficiency in Microsoft Excel, with 5+ years' practical experience. Should be able to demonstrate expertise in PivotTables, Formulas and Power Query.
- Advanced-level proficiency in Microsoft Power BI or similar data visualization software is a plus.
- High-level proficiency in Microsoft Word, Access, Outlook, Teams, Planner and OneNote or similar.
- Intermediate-level proficiency using SQL or similar query language, with 2-5 years' practical experience.
- Exceptional problem-solving, technical and analytical skills.
- Bachelors' degree in Data Analytics, Math, Statistics or related field (or Bachelors' degree in another field with demonstrable related work experience)
Successful applicants will demonstrate:
- Competence working with and transforming relational databases in SQL or similar query-language and Power Query or similar GUI-based query tool.
- Competence managing various aspects of a data pipeline, including: data validation, data management, data analysis and data visualization.
- Advanced understanding of ETL best practices, and how to articulate them to both data analysts and developers.
- Intermediate networking skills including authentication, using data connectors and cloud storage.
- Competent, independent project management skills including scoping a project, delivering on a critical path, and balancing the two.
- Some experience managing a team.
- Great client-facing personal skills.