Analyst (Public Finance)
Wulff, Hansen & Co. is seeking an entry-level Investment Banking Analyst (Public Finance) to join its Public Finance Department. The successful candidate will perform a wide variety of tasks in connection with municipal and other public finance projects while working directly with senior investment bankers.
This role is unique in that the Analyst will gain experience working across a wide variety of sectors within public finance and be heavily involved at almost every stage of a bond financing, as opposed to Analyst roles at larger firms which typically have a more narrow scope.
Established in 1931, Wulff, Hansen & Co. is a boutique investment and municipal advisory firm primarily serving the municipal and public finance sectors in California. The firm is a registered broker/dealer, municipal advisor, and investment advisor. The Public Finance Department is responsible for providing municipal bond advisory services and investment banking solutions for the complex financing needs of cities, counties, water and wastewater districts and other public or non-profit entities across the State of California. The firm’s public finance efforts focus on general government finance, funding of capital improvements for streets, buildings, water and wastewater, renewable/green energy and infrastructure, pension obligations, and healthcare finance.
The ideal candidate is a recent college graduate with strong interpersonal and analytical skills seeking mentorship and training for a long career in the public finance industry. The ideal candidate should have an interest in public finance and in government affairs The selected candidate will be mentored and supported to develop professionally and eventually move on to greater responsibilities within the department and the firm. It is the goal of Wulff, Hansen & Co. to bring along the entry-level Analyst as quickly as possible. Unlike larger firms where promotion cycles and rigid bureaucracies can limit the pace of career development, highly motivated individuals at Wulff, Hansen & Co. are encouraged to take initiative in picking up new responsibilities and are able to create their own path.
- Pitch Deck Preparation - In cooperation with senior staff, prepare proposals and presentation materials for prospective or existing clients, describing in detail financing alternatives in originating, structuring and marketing a financial transaction and the firm’s qualifications for performing such work.
- Financial Analysis - Assist in necessary analytical work, performing debt modeling and financial analysis including credit and debt capacity analysis, saving analysis, etc., using Excel and specialized financial software, developing quantitative financial products to generate, evaluate and execute appropriate client solutions.
- Projection Updating - Develop financial analysis preceding and during the issuance of municipal bonds including revenue models, debt amortization schedules, debt profiles and refinancing break-even models.
- Project Coordination - Serve as a link coordinating the various activities and communication with different parties to a financial transaction, both internal and external, relating to structuring, pricing, documenting, and funding of a financial transaction.
- Due Diligence Review - Review bond documents and other documents related to the funding of a transaction.
- Sourcing & Lead Generation - Using Bloomberg and other available public finance databases, work with senior staff to identify potential opportunities for clients and prospective clients. Develop research profiles for prospective clients while partnering with senior staff in approaching such clients and explaining the identified opportunity.
- Compliance Support – Work with senior staff to support existing clients in reporting and compliance matters related to previously completed financings.
- Industry Research – Keep current with political and economic news and trends that relate to the public finance industry. Create internal research report for senior bankers and clients.
- Organizational Duties – Maintain a robust filing system to ensure regulatory compliance and assist senior bankers in organization and documenting ongoing projects.
Qualifications and Desired Skills:
· Bachelor’s degree in relevant discipline (Finance, Accounting, Economics, Marketing are a plus) or equivalent experience.
· Demonstrated ability to take on difficult and challenging tasks.
- Ability to take and pass municipal securities licensing examinations with training and sponsorship from the firm.
- Intermediate proficiency in Microsoft Word, Excel, and in creating and maintaining financial models (experience using Bloomberg is a plus).
- Advanced PowerPoint and marketing/design skills.
- Ability to quickly become proficient using financial modeling software such as DBC Finance.
- Strong analytical and research abilities.
- Project Manager/Coordinator skills including attention to detail and strong communication and organizational skills with the ability to prioritize and complete multiple tasks under strict deadlines.
- Proficiency in public speaking or a strong desire to become proficient.
- Ability to take initiative and function independently within the team.
- Strong desire to learn and grow professionally while generating revenue to support increased compensation.
- Ability and willingness to aggressively market public finance services to municipal entities.
- High standards of professional and ethical conduct.
- Previous internships in a related field are a plus.
- Candidates will be asked to provide a writing sample of 1000 to 2000 words prior to interview.
The firm seeks to attract and retain individuals who have demonstrated a high level of performance and achievement either in their careers thus far, or in the classroom, and offers competitive compensation and benefits, including subsidized health insurance, 401(k) plan, and paid vacation in a friendly and informal office environment. The ideal candidate should be excited about working and living in or near San Rafael, California. Some virtual work will be supported, but time in the office is expected as well, especially during the initial months of training. This role will likely entail a moderate amount of travel throughout the State of California as client meetings move back to in-person and away from virtual.
Learn more about what we do by visiting our website: www.wulffhansen.com