Process Improvement Analyst Co-op
An agency on the move, the Massachusetts Department of Transportation (MassDOT) takes great pride in connecting the Commonwealth’s residents and communities. Powered by a growing data-analytics discipline – and working in conjunction with municipalities, public agencies and the private sector – we’re finding new ways to improve the Bay State’s transportation infrastructure.
MassDOT is responsible for developing, implementing, and coordinating transportation policies and projects for the Commonwealth of Massachusetts and to efficiently plan, design, construct, and maintain a safe statewide transportation system which effectively meets the transportation needs of the Commonwealth.
MassDOT’s divisions include: Highway, Aeronautics, Registry of Motor Vehicles, Rail & Transit, and Planning & Enterprise Services. There are approximately 3,600 employees across the organization.
MassDOT’s goal is to provide employees with greater flexibility in when and where they work while continuing to execute MassDOT’s Safety and Customer Service Mission. Furthermore, MassDOT will be doing our part to lead by example in reducing congestion and greenhouse gas emissions by minimizing overall workplace commuting travel during peak hours through telework and schedule flexibility.
This position has a high degree of remote flexibility once established in the role. The selected candidate will be expected to follow a hybrid work model that consists of both in-office and work from home days, as needed.
The internship program provides opportunities to gain practical work experience in public administration. As a paid intern, you will be engaged in a variety of projects, and responsible for delivering results, both as an individual and as a member of a team. We welcome your fresh perspective and energy, as you gain experience in a state government environment. This is a great opportunity to jump start your career!
The Business Process Improvement Analyst Intern will work with various teams to compile information for current process mapping, task processing time, process duration and other benchmarking statistics that may also come from other states. The Intern will also analyze the data to determine areas and propose specific processes for improvement.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Collect, analyze, and present results of new processes with use of available tools and data
- Examine and validate existing processes performed within the company utilizing process mapping, flow charting & standard tools to document task processing and duration time for benchmarking and analysis.
- Identify improvement opportunities through the analysis of data/info relating to specific processes within a team and/or cross-functional teams.
- Document the processes–both current and proposed as well as issues and recommendations.
- Communicate with individuals at all levels of the organization verbally and in written.
- Assist other PMO teams in their projects based on need and availability.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Ability to define problems, analyze data, establish facts, draw valid conclusions, and find workable solutions.
- Ability to observe and document processes, conduct time study to determine to assist in determining process cycle time.
- Analytical mindset with the ability to perform quantitative analysis and cost and benefit analysis.
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office including Visio and Excel.
- Strong verbal and written communication skills.
- Knowledge of MS Project Management.
- Demonstrated interpersonal skills.
- Energetic and enthusiastic to learn.
- Ability to work on various projects.
Flexible hours to accommodate class schedule.
- We are looking for a student who is seeking a 4-year college degree with focus on Industrial Engineering, Business Process Improvements and Analytics, Business Administration, IT Business Analysis, Project Management or related coursework.
- GPA of 3.0 or higher on a 4.0 scale is preferred.
- Internship experience or work experience in organizational projects is a plus.
- Knowledge of Business Process Methodologies such as Lean, Six Sigma, or Lean Six Sigma is a plus.
This requisition will remain open until filled; however, first consideration will be given to those applicants that apply within the first 14 days.
Minimum Entrance Requirements:
Must be enrolled in a full-time Bachelor's degree program for Spring 2022.
All job applications must be submitted online through MassCareers to be considered.
· For questions regarding the job posting, email email@example.com.
· For general questions regarding MassDOT, call the Human Resources Service Center at 857-368-4722.
· For a disability‐related reasonable accommodation or alternative application method, call ADA Coordinator, Heather Ulesoo – (617) 851-9447.
An Equal Opportunity / Affirmative Action Employer. Females, minorities, veterans, and persons with disabilities are strongly encouraged to apply.
Executive Order #595: As a condition of employment, successful applicants will be required to have received COVID-19 vaccination or an approved exemption as of their start date. Details relating to demonstrating compliance with this requirement will be provided to applicants selected for employment. Applicants who receive an offer of employment who can provide documentation that the vaccine is medically contraindicated or who object to vaccination due to a sincerely held religious belief may make a request for exemption.