State Public Health Laboratory Director
California Department of Public Health is recruiting for an experienced, visionary executives to join one of the largest and most acclaimed state public health departments in the nation.
The Office of the State Public Health Laboratory Director (OSPHLD) protects the public health by assuring accurate and reliable clinical, environmental and public health laboratory services through the provision of support services, consultation and regulatory compliance oversight to the six independent public health laboratories that comprise the State Public Health Laboratory. OSPHLD provides an executive staff level focus for laboratory science policy issues and coordination. The Chief of the Office is designated as the director of the state public health laboratory and has responsibility for laboratory related policy development, oversight responsibility for the state public health laboratory at Richmond.
OSPHLD provides administrative direction to Laboratory Field Services and Laboratory Central Services. The OSPHLD also coordinates and ensures the provision of adequate facilities, equipment, instrumentation, laboratory employee health and safety, technical/scientific support and regulatory compliance to support the mission of all the Public Health Department's Laboratories. The State Public Health Laboratory Director serves as the liaison between the Department and the California Association of Public Health Laboratory Directors (CAPHLD), and in the capacity of California's representative to the Association of Public Health Laboratories (APHL).
The Deputy Director, State Public Health Laboratory Director provides professional consultation to/for Federal, State, and local public health and clinical laboratories. Serves as the Departments liaison/representative to various working groups, committees, and programs including the legislatively mandated Clinical Laboratory Technical Advisory Committee (CLTAC), oversight for the All-Hazards Risk Assessment Laboratory (AHRAL) for the Richmond Campus, and serves as the Department’s Responsible Official (RO) for CDC’s Select Agent and Toxin (SAT) program, providing select agent leadership for the Department.
Supervises and oversees the operations of the Department’s programs responsible for ensuring the quality of clinical and environmental health testing in California, as well as the laboratory Field Services Branch (LFS) and the Laboratory Central Services Branch (LCS).
Provides an executive staff level focus for laboratory science policy issues and coordination; is responsible for laboratory related policy development and oversight responsibility for the state public health laboratory campus. Serves as the technical consultant to Departmental management and executives to provide centralized, professional, and technical support to the public health laboratories at the state public health laboratory Richmond Campus.
In addition to evaluating each candidate's relative ability, as demonstrated by quality and breadth of experience, the following factors will provide the basis for competitively evaluating each candidate:
- Board certified meeting requirements of the Clinical Laboratory Improvement Amendments (CLIA) and California Public Health Laboratory Director (preferred but not required).
- Experience in Public Health or Clinical Laboratory Management.
- Public Health Microbiology and/or Clinical Laboratory Scientist (CLS) certification.
- Knowledge of federal Clinical Laboratory Improvement Amendments (CLIA), California state laboratory regulations, and the College of American Pathologists (CAP) laboratory oversight.
- Strong management/supervisory experience, including managing a large complex laboratory system.
- Experience with development and implementation of policies on clinical and environment public health laboratory issues and regulatory and accreditation of laboratory operations.
- Partnership development skills, strong oral and written communication skills, and experience with quality improvement efforts in a laboratory setting.
- Maintains industry knowledge through membership and participation in professional organizations.
Final Filing Date: 1/7/2022