Air Quality Modeling: Analyst / Scientist
PSE Healthy Energy is seeking a full-time air quality modeling analyst/scientist to assist and collaborate with PSE scientists and senior scientists in evaluations of how energy choices impact outdoor and indoor air quality and public health. Energy systems of interest include, but are not limited to upstream, midstream and downstream oil and gas sectors, electricity transmission and distribution, gas- and coal-fired power generation, carbon management and the integration of multiple cleaner energy technologies in energy transitions. Strong candidates will have demonstrated experience in air modeling and data analysis including the capability to extract, organize, clean, analyze and interpret datasets from multiple sources and synthesize existing studies on the environmental, health and climate dimensions of energy production and use.
The position requires creativity, initiative, independent work and collaboration while thinking strategically about complex scientific research and issues related to energy and energy policy, renewable energy, public health, and the environment. It is not expected that a single candidate will have expertise across all these areas- we’re seeking candidates that are particularly strong in a few areas and have some interest and capabilities in others.
ROLES and RESPONSIBILITIES
· Air Quality Modeling: Develop and apply air quality modeling methods across a wide range of topics and applications and validate and interpret model results
· Data Analysis: Manage large datasets including data extraction, organization, cleaning, analysis and interpretation
· Other Research: Background research and writing support for technical reports and manuscripts
In addition to an ability to meet the above responsibilities, the position will require the applicant to possess most of the following, with some capabilities in the rest and an enthusiasm for learning:
· A masters, or doctoral degree or a bachelor’s degree with 3+ years of demonstrated work experience in engineering, physical or environmental science, environmental health, computer science, data science, or related field
· Demonstrated experience running and interpreting air quality models (e.g., CMAQ, AERMOD, EPA COBRA)
· Advanced proficiency in scientific programming languages (e.g., R, python)
· Experience compiling and working with, cleaning, managing and interpreting large datasets and conducting statistical analysis
· Excellent writing and communications skills
· Ability to pivot from strong analytical and data-driven thinking to highly creative and strategic thinking
· Capable of engaging on multiple projects and prioritizing effectively
· Able to productively provide and receive feedback
· A proven record of being able to work collaboratively and independently
· Scientific and moral integrity
· Attention to detail and a desire to learn
· A sense of humor
· Understanding of atmospheric processes
· Experience with indoor air quality models
· Experience using or developing emissions inventories
· Experience evaluating health risks, hazards, and impacts
· Experience working in a Linux/Unix computing environment
· Experience with software best practices and version control
· Experience with cloud computing platforms (e.g., Amazon Web Services)
· Experience developing web-based data visualizations
· Experience with mapping software (e.g., ArcGIS)
· Experience working at the science-policy interface
· Experience with Google Workspace (Gmail, Google Docs, etc.)
· Familiarity with Slack
Oakland, CA. Remote locations will also be considered.
The anticipated salary range is $55,000-$85,000, though the successful candidate could be hired above or below this range depending on qualifications and geographic location. Benefits are competitive and include health insurance, 401(k) retirement plan with employer match, 15 days of vacation, paid sick leave and 11+ paid holidays.
Please submit a resume/CV and provide a cover letter OR provide responses to question prompts in application portal online here by January 31st, 2022. Applications received by January 10th, 2022 will be given priority review.
EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
PSE Healthy Energy is an equal opportunity employer. We celebrate diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees. We do not discriminate in hiring or employment on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, gender identity and expression, marital status, sexual orientation, age, disability, veteran status, or any other status protected under federal, state, or local law.