Environmental Data Management: Analyst/ Scientist
PSE Healthy Energy is seeking a full-time data analyst / data management scientist to work collaboratively with PSE’s staff of scientists, engineers, and data analysts to effectively translate, communicate, and disseminate PSE’s scientific research and organization mission to diverse audiences and stakeholders. The Data Analyst will be responsible for analysis and data management across a range of projects and will require flexibility, collaborating with multiple team members, and responding quickly to changing research needs and priorities. The position requires the ability to work with scientific data to establish patterns and trends, establish processes to ensure data quality, and provide custom work products in the form of reports, charts, graphs, and other forms of analytics to inform users. An ideal candidate will have demonstrated experience working with large data set analysis including the capability to extract, organize, clean, analyze and interpret datasets from state and federal agencies and existing studies on the environmental, health and climate dimensions of energy production and use.
It is not expected that a single candidate will have expertise across all these areas- we’re seeking candidates that are particularly strong in a few areas and have some interest and capabilities in others.
ROLES and RESPONSIBILITIES
· Data Analysis: Manage large datasets including data extraction, organization, cleaning, analysis and interpretation
· Research Assistance: Background research and writing support for technical reports and manuscripts
In addition to an ability to meet the above responsibilities, the position will require the applicant to possess most of the following, with some capabilities in the rest and an enthusiasm for learning:
· A bachelor's degree, master’s degree or doctoral degree with work experience in data analytics, computer science, data science, physical or environmental science, environmental health, engineering, or related field
· Experience with compiling and working with, cleaning, managing and interpreting large datasets and conducting statistical analysis
· Advanced proficiency in scientific programming languages (e.g., R, python)
· Experience with mapping software (e.g., ArcGIS) or packages
· Excellent writing and communications skills
· Ability to pivot from strong analytical and data-driven thinking to highly creative thinking
· Capable of managing multiple projects and prioritizing effectively
· Able to productively provide and receive feedback
· A proven record of being able to work collaboratively and independently
· Scientific and moral integrity
· Attention to detail and a desire to learn
· A sense of humor
· Experience with database software and/or development
· Experience using or developing emissions inventories
· Experience working in Linux/Unix computing environment
· Experience with software best practices and version control
· Experience with cloud computing platforms (e.g., Amazon Web Services)
· Experience developing web-based data visualizations
· Experience with Google Workspace (Gmail, Google Docs, etc.)
· Familiarity with Slack
Oakland, CA. Remote locations will also be considered.
The anticipated salary range is $55,000-$80,000, though the successful candidate could be hired above or below this range depending on qualifications and geographic location. Benefits are competitive and include health insurance, 401(k) retirement plan with employer match, 15 days of vacation, paid sick leave and 11+ paid holidays.
Please submit a resume or CV and provide a cover letter OR provide responses to question prompts online here by January 31st, 2022. Applications received by January 10th, 2022 will be given priority review.
EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
PSE Healthy Energy is an equal opportunity employer. We celebrate diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees. We do not discriminate in hiring or employment on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, gender identity and expression, marital status, sexual orientation, age, disability, veteran status, or any other status protected under federal, state, or local law.