Data Scientist (Santa Clara, CA) - Early in Career Opportunity!
Applied Materials is the leader in materials engineering solutions used to produce virtually every new chip and advanced display in the world. Our expertise in modifying materials at atomic levels and on an industrial scale helps our customers – who make smartphones, supercomputers, virtual reality headsets, autonomous vehicles and more – transform their ideas into reality. Our innovations Make Possible® a Better Future.
Inside our company, we apply the idea of make possible as we work together. We value our people and teams who turn possibilities into reality by advancing our strategy, accomplishing great things and empowering others. We are deeply committed to fostering a Culture of Inclusion where every person knows they belong, feels empowered to bring their whole self to work, and is inspired to grow.
If you’re looking for a great place to grow your career, consider Applied Materials. With the data explosion and new investment in semiconductors, it’s an exciting place to be.
The Data Scientist is a key member of the Global Information Services (GIS) Advanced Analytics and Data Solutions team who works with internal business units and functional customers on business technology alignment, solution discovery, and service management. With the support of your team, the Data Scientist analyzes business requirements and issues, convert analysis to functional and technical specifications, and assist in the design and technical development of Business Intelligence, Big Data and AI/ML solutions. Key responsibilities include:
- Perform and document software application and technical platform configuration, prepare and execute test scenarios and scripts (unit, integration, performance, regression, acceptance) and data conversions
- Provide Business Intelligence, Big Data and AI/ML application and platform support services to meet performance, availability, customer service level agreement, and customer satisfaction targets
- Participate in reviewing and monitoring complex production systems to ensure continuous, effective performance and determine modifications as needed
- Perform system analysis and debugging of applications and platforms to identify problem root causes and complete root cause analysis for incidents and outages
- Adhere to (GIS) project management, software application development, testing, service management, change management, RCA and other relevant processes, standards, governance, and controls
- Manage execution of sox controls and testing, and support internal and external audits
- Manage small continuous improvement projects to ensure effective and efficient execution guardrails of scope, timeline, budget, and quality
- Advanced degree in Computer Science with a focus on Machine Learning or related field
- Good academic standing with a GPA of 3.0 or above on a 4.0 scale
- Strong hands-on experience in Python
- Experience with big data systems such hdfs, hive, impala, and spark on Cloudera Hadoop distribution
- Experience with a RDBMS –Microsoft SQL Server, Oracle, DB2
- Ability to exercise judgment based on the analysis of multiple sources of information
- Ability to provide strategic recommendations based on statistical and data analysis
- Flexible and adaptable mindset who thrives in a results-driven culture
Applied Materials is committed to diversity in its workforce including Equal Employment Opportunity for Minorities, Females, Protected Veterans, and Individuals with Disabilities.