2022 Summer Associate Program
Effective October 11, 2021, all current and newly hired IDA employees must be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 unless they have been granted a medical or religious exemption. Individuals who accept employment with IDA will be required to provide proof that they are fully vaccinated or receive approval for a medical or religious accommodation prior to starting employment.
The IDA Summer Associate Program provides students unique opportunity to use their quantitative and analytic skills to work on challenging real-world national security issues. The Institute for Defense Analyses (IDA) is a not-for-profit corporation that operates Federally Funded Research and Development Centers (FFRDCs).
Two of these FFRDCs are accepting Summer Associates.
Staff at the IDA Systems and Analyses Center (SAC) provide objective analyses of national security issues, particularly those requiring scientific and technical expertise, and conduct related research on other national challenges. The Systems and Analyses Center, located in Alexandria, Virginia, is comprised of eight research divisions:
• Cost Analysis and Research Division • Information Technology and Systems Division
• Intelligence Analyses Division • Joint Advanced Warfighting Division
• Operational Evaluation Division • System Evaluation Division
• Science and Technology Division • Strategy, Forces and Resources Division
Staff at the IDA Science and Technology Policy Institute (STPI), located in Washington, DC, assist the White House Office of Science and Technology Policy and other executive branch agencies in formulating federal S&T policy by providing high-quality, objective, analytical support to inform policymakers.
Each year, IDA hires paid student associates at its Virginia and Washington, DC facilities to work for a minimum of 10 weeks during the summer months. Attendance at the 8 week core period between June 6, 2022 and July 29, 2022 is required. An additional 2 weeks (or more) either before or after the core period is required for a complete 10 week internship. In some cases opportunities exist for associates to work a few weeks longer than the 10-week minimum.
The wage range is dependent on the field of study and years of education completed. For students living outside the area, IDA pays for one instance of round-trip travel. Associates are responsible for living expenses during the summer.
The responsibilities vary depending on division and particular assignment.
- We seek highly qualified students with strong academic backgrounds. Our preference for the program is graduate students, but we will consider undergraduates who are rising seniors. In either case, students must be returning to an academic institution in the fall to continue their educational pursuits.
- SAC seeks a variety of disciplines, including computer science, information technology, mathematics, chemistry, physics, operations research, aero/astronautical engineering, mechanical or electrical engineering, materials science, statistics, economics, as well as social and behavioral sciences, human resources, security, international relations, policy studies, and finance. We are also recruiting students focusing in library and information science, English, history and related.
- STPI seeks a variety of disciplines, including behavioral sciences, biological sciences, computer science, economics, engineering,environmental sciences, learning sciences, mathematics, physical sciences, social sciences, and statistics.
- Applicants are required to submit a resume and transcripts.
- Applicants who are selected will be subject to a security investigation and must meet eligibility requirements for access to classified information.
- Successful completion of a criminal background check is required.
U.S. Citizenship is required
Ability to obtain and maintain a security clearance is required
IDA is an equal opportunity employer committed to providing a fair recruiting process and working environment free from discrimination. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identify, national origin, disability or protected veteran status. Click here to learn more about IDA's commitment to diversity, equity, and inclusion.