Internship In Data Engineering / Data Science (remote/onsite)
Personalis, Inc. is a leader in advanced cancer genomics for enabling the next generation of precision cancer therapies and diagnostics. The Personalis NeXT Platform® is designed to adapt to the complex and evolving understanding of cancer, providing its biopharmaceutical customers and clinicians with information on all of the approximately 20,000 human genes, together with the immune system, from a single tissue sample. In population sequencing, Personalis operates one of the largest sequencing operations globally and is currently the sole sequencing provider to Veterans Affairs' Million Veteran Program. To enable cancer and population sequencing, Personalis' Clinical Laboratory was built with a focus on clinical accuracy, quality, big data, scale and efficiency. The laboratory is GxP-aligned as well as Clinical Laboratory Improvement Amendments of 1988-certified and College of American Pathologists-accredited.
We are looking for a Data Engineer/Data Scientist intern having a proper mindset and a passion for the craft of software engineering or data analytics. Does the constantly evolving nature of technologies excite you because of the endless possibilities it creates? Do you enjoy working in a collaborative environment? Are you self-driven and able to execute consistently in a fast-paced environment? Do you care about data-driven decision-making and its impact on business objectives? If this describes you, consider joining us as an intern in the summer of 2022.
You will be a part of the data analytics team whose mission is to provide the right insights to the right people at the right time. These insights allow decision-makers to act on the findings, enabling an operationally efficient business. We offer a summer internship opportunity to motivated undergraduate and graduate students in STEM programs who have a professional interest in software engineering or data analytics. This internship will provide you with direct exposure to real-world business analytics applications to the rapidly growing biotechnology space. It will focus on developing you in areas where a computer science curriculum typically does not.
The internship will be approximately 8-10 weeks in duration (dates are flexible depending on your academic calendar).
The objective of this internship program is to gain exposure to Operations intelligence as applicable to the pharma/healthcare/software medical device industry.
You will be responsible for a summer project from conception through feasibility, development, testing, and rolling into "production." During the 8–10-week program you will learn first-hand the importance of analyzing data, looking for usable intelligence, and where you can best focus your academic studies for future career direction.
In this role, you will:
- Develop and maintain scalable data pipelines using Python/SQL to support increasing data volume and complexity.
- Improve database and data warehouse performance by tuning inefficient queries.
- Collaborate with the Operations Informatics team to improve data models that feed operations intelligence tools, increase data accessibility, and foster data-driven decision-making across the organization.
- Implement processes and systems to monitor data quality, ensuring production data is always accurate and available for key stakeholders and business processes that depend on it.
- Document work.
- Perform data analysis required to troubleshoot data-related issues and assist in resolving data issues.
- Be meticulous about the quality of the product you create and the code you write.
- Present the summer project to the Personalis Quality Compliance, Research and Development, and Operations teams.
Successful interns will emerge with valuable, hands-on industry experience and find themselves in a fantastic position for a future career in the software industry.
- The ideal candidate will be completing their junior year of undergrad or first year of graduate school in an engineering or science program and returning to school in the fall.
- Currently in the process of obtaining or recently obtained a B.S./B.A. in a STEM major.
- Experience with data mining and data transformation is required.
- Experience with SQL and Python is required.
- Experience with data visualization software (e.g., Tableau) is a plus.
- Ability to work effectively in a collaborative and dynamic environment.
- Due to the COVID-19 pandemic, this position will be 100% remote but only available to candidates residing in and authorized to work in the United States. Candidates may live anywhere in the United States but must work aligned to the Pacific Time Zone. Onsite arrangements can be made if the candidate lives in the area and if current COVID policies allow.
Personalis is an Equal Opportunity Employer/Minorities/Females/Veterans/Disabilities. Personalis offers a competitive compensation package.