Risk Analyst - Chicago, IL
Risk Analyst Intern
What can you expect?
At Guy Carpenter, we play a critical role in helping insurance companies manage and mitigate their risk so they can protect the world against natural disasters, terrorism, cyber-attacks, pandemics and risks unknown. As a Risk Analyst, you have access to a career in reinsurance broking, where you will be at the forefront of assisting these companies in finding the right protection, and advising them on innovative solutions to help optimize capital and address business challenges stemming from world events. Our Risk Analyst role is a training ground for ultimately becoming an Account Executive/Managing Director, consulting for c-suite level individuals and solving complex capital solutions for the insurance vertical. From assisting with the development of risk mitigation strategies for clients, to analyzing data and building marketing materials, Risk Analysts are an integral part of the success of Guy Carpenter and our clients.
- Data collection and analysis in building reinsurance submission for client assignments
- Assist in renewing reinsurance programs. Provide brokers with research analysis as needed.
- Assist in responding to client queries and concerns, resolving issues promptly
- Assist in monitoring accountings, (premium payments, loss collections, etc.) anticipating and preventing problems when possible.
- Assist with broker review on contract documentation, ensuring contract drafter has accurately captured terms and conditions of placement.
- Assist in timely production of contract documentation and follow-up, ensuring timely flow of materials
- Maintain comprehensive knowledge of reinsurer capabilities (product lines, capacity, approvals, etc.)
- Analyze client risk and develop and present recommendations
- Develop broking and functional skills
Best Practice Procedures and Compliance Policies
- Understand all best practice procedures and compliance policies. When new procedures are provided, understand and adopt new procedures as rolled out, take required training and speak up with any question or concerns uncovered in your role at Guy Carpenter.
- Follow all best practice procedures and compliance requirements, including but not limited to building a complete placement file as the placement progresses to minimize errors & omissions.
- Assist broking team in designing new programs for clients’ unmet needs
- Respond to client requests for information (reinsurer, financial reports, industry issues, etc), as directed by senior broker, coordinating with Market Information and other departments as necessary, and clearing with senior broker.
What is in it for you?
- Exposure to strong senior leadership, at the forefront of new decisions, development-training programs, opportunity for advancement on many career paths, etc.
- Be part of an organization where you’ll be able to learn, grow and develop your career.
We will count on you to:
- Demonstrate an understanding of technical/functional insurance and reinsurance concepts, terms and contract clauses.
- Learn the environment in which clients operate and the marketplace in which GC handles transactions.
- Demonstrates knowledge of and experience with, process steps, procedures, and standards throughout the new and renewal reinsurance placement process.
- Learn and apply the basics of the reinsurance pricing process both excess of loss and proportional including experience and exposure rating simple burning cost and stochastic modelling.
- With oversight, be able to review insurance company financial statement analysis, experience and exposure rating and catastrophe modelling output as components of client’s risk transfer solution from a technical pricing and market pricing perspective.
What you need to have:
- Strong interpersonal skills for establishing and maintaining good client, reinsurer, and internal relationships.
- Computer skills using Microsoft Office (Word, PowerPoint, and advanced analytical capabilities using Excel)
- Good ability to organize and pay attention to detail
- Good verbal and writing skills for complex communications with clients, markets and GC colleagues at many levels.
- Good problem solving skills and financial aptitude.
- General knowledge of business principle and industry trends