Robot Production Manager
Hello Robot is working towards a future where robots are fun, useful, and inclusive. As an organization we value open-source software and conduct our development in the open. Our first product, Stretch RE1 - a mobile manipulation platform for research labs - was unveiled last year and featured in IEEE Spectrum and TechCrunch. Now, Stretch is present in top tier research institutions, Fortune 500 companies, and startups. We’re a small team with extensive robotics experience, and we’re committed to building a future where mobile manipulators enhance the lives of older adults, caregivers, and people with disabilities. Join us in our Martinez, CA headquarters (30-minute drive from Berkeley).
About the role:
We assemble and test our robots in-house in Martinez, CA. In this role you will manage the entire production process, including:
- Participate in day-to-day build and testing of robots in production
- Managing and procurement of inventory
- Managing supply chain and working directly with our vendors
- Directing day-to-day assembly activities to ensure efficient production and timely delivery
- Tracking of production metrics including COGS, BOM, and yield
- Ensuring products meet quality and test specifications
- Maintaining and updating SOP documentation
In this role you’ll have the opportunity to learn the ins-and-outs of manufacturing a complex mechatronic device that requires integration of mechanical, electrical, sensor, and compute systems. We manufacture at low volume and in small batches using a highly iterative process. The role requires creative problem solving and a great eye for organizational detail.
In this role, you’ll also receive mentorship from experienced roboticists, and have the opportunity to learn from the founders: Dr. Aaron Edsinger, previously the Director of Robotics at Google, and Dr. Charlie Kemp, who works at Hello Robot and Georgia Tech, where he is a tenured professor.
Please note that the list below likely misses attributes or skills that could make you a great fit for the role. Research has shown this applies especially to women and other marginalized groups, who tend to apply only if they check 100% of every box. If you feel you’d be a good fit for this role, please don’t hesitate to apply!
- Excited to work in a fast-paced, highly-iterative, startup environment
- A BS or MS in Mechanical Engineering is helpful but not required
- Hands on experience with assembly of complex mechanical and electrical systems
- Exceptional organizational and time management skills
- Experience with procurement and vendor management
- Experience with directing work of a small team
- Experienced with Google docs
- Excellent communication skills