Associate Director, Process Sciences - Starch & Fiber Separation
What we're looking for
We are looking for an experienced Associate Director, Process Sciences - Starch & Fiber Separation responsible for process development of starch and fiber separation and recovery unit operations, playing a critical role in the scientific growth and development of our JUST Egg platform. You will be involved in developing the starch, fiber, and protein production technologies to achieve final product of consistent quality. As a member of the Process Sciences Team, you will partner with our lab, pilot plant, food science, product development and manufacturing teams to continue building out the process sciences development . You will have the opportunity to work with our multi-disciplinary team of scientists, engineers, and chefs in the search for better, healthier, and more sustainable ways to produce food.
What you'll do
- Work with the multi-disciplinary R&D team to develop pilot and lab scale starch/fiber separation, recovery, and production technologies;
- Apply engineering and technology concepts to develop unit operations and take it to manufacturing scale;
- Independently develop lab/pilot scale unit operations, processes and apply existing/new separation and processing techniques for consistent starch, fiber, and protein of food product quality;
- Support process engineering and technology transfer teams for scale up of protein/starch separation and production unit operations;
- Analyze and interpret heterogeneous datasets generated by a unique technology platform that combines engineering, biochemistry, and food science;
- Collaborate extensively with engineers, food scientists and product development team to translate scientific questions into testable hypotheses and draw appropriate inferences from experimental results;
- Provide statistical support for the design and interpretation of experiments;
- Write reports and maintain up to date lab notebook for good data practices;
What you'll bring
- Bachelors or Masters (Ph.D. desirable but not required) with combined experience in chemical engineering, bioprocessing, food technology/engineering, or related subject with 8+ years of manufacturing or industrial lab and pilot plant experience in starch, fiber, and protein separation process/product development and industrial unit operations;
- Industrial experience in design and commercialization of new technologies, scale up to manufacturing scale;
- Technical expertise in lab, pilot, and manufacturing scale troubleshooting of process and unit operations;
- Demonstrable experience in developing, executing complex experimental plans and data interpretation;
- Enthusiasm for exploring complex datasets and thinking rigorously about scientific phenomena;
- Excellent project management skills - ability to work on multiple projects and maintain deadlines;
- A curious mindset to pursue continuous improvement in production and R&D processes through best practices;
- Ability to develop robust processes through the integration of equipment and operations
- Excellent communication skills, both written and verbal; ability to present and report on findings in a thoughtful and effective manner;
- Mission-driven, self-directed, and enthusiastic about collaborating with an interdisciplinary team of scientists and engineers
- Ability to pass a standard background check.
Additional Information & Requirements
- This is a full-time role based out of our Headquarters in San Francisco, CA until we relocate to our new Headquarters office in Alameda, CA in Q1 2022.
- Proof of full COVID-19 vaccination is a condition of employment, subject to accommodation as required by law. CDC defines fully vaccinated as: 2 weeks after your second dose in a 2-dose series, such as the Pfzier or Moderna vaccines; or 2 weeks after a single-dose vaccine, such as Johnson & Johnson’s Janssen vaccine.
- This role requires the ability to travel without restrictions both domestically and internationally 15-20% of the time. Candidates must possess a passport or willingness to acquire one.
- In compliance with federal law, all persons hired will be required to verify identity and eligibility to work in the United States and to complete the required employment eligibility verification form upon hire.
- Eat Just, Inc. and its subsidiaries participate in E-Verify and will provide the Social Security Administration (SSA) and, if necessary, the Department of Homeland Security (DHS), with information from each new employee Form I-9 to confirm work authorization.
Who we are
Eat Just is a food technology company with a mission to build a healthier, safer and more sustainable food system in our lifetimes. The company's expertise, from functionalizing plant proteins to culturing animal cells, is powered by a world-class team of scientists and chefs spanning more than a dozen research disciplines. Eat Just created Americas fastest-growing egg brand, which is made entirely of plants, and the worlds first-to-market meat made from animal cells instead of slaughtered livestock. The company has been recognized as one of Fast Company's Most Innovative Companies, Entrepreneurs 100 Brilliant Companies, CNBCs Disruptor 50 and a World Economic Forum Technology Pioneer. JUST Egg has been named among Popular Sciences 100 Greatest Innovations and Fast Company's World Changing Ideas and the history-making debut of GOOD Meat was heralded as one of 2020's top scientific breakthroughs by The Guardian, Vox and WIRED.
For more information on JUST Egg, visit https://ju.st.
For more information on GOOD Meat, visit http://goodmeat.co.