Postdoctoral Research Associate - Advanced Radiation Detection, Imaging, Data Science, & Application
Requisition Id 7566
Oak Ridge National Laboratory is the largest US Department of Energy science and energy laboratory, conducting basic and applied research to deliver transformative solutions to compelling problems in energy and security.
We are seeking a Postdoctoral Research Associate who will support the Advanced Radiation Detection, Imaging, Data Science, and Applications Group in the Physics Division, of the Physical Sciences Directorate (PSD) at Oak Ridge National Laboratory (ORNL). The position will join a diverse team of scientist working on challenging problems in nuclear nonproliferation. The candidate will have the opportunity to network across the laboratory and contribute to other research projects.
- Collaborate effectively with research scientists to meet project needs and deliverables
- Perform research and present results at project meetings and conferences
- Develop models and perform simulations of complex chemical processes, and coupling to other physical operations such as electrical heating, fluid flow, and vapor-liquid equilibrium
- A PhD in Physics, Computer Science, Chemical Engineering, or a related field completed within the last 5 years
- Experience with code development, debugging, and data parsing
- Ability to comprehend and break down complex processes into unit operations
- Experience developing system-level models using object-oriented software platforms
- Ability to communicate experimental findings in scientific journal publications
- Experience and proficiency in Python, C, C++ or an equivalent programming language
- Experience ingesting SQL, HDF5 raw data and performing analysis
- Knowledge and experience with radiometric detection including gamma-ray spectroscopy
- Experience with process engineering modeling in industrial settings, with an understanding of the application of concepts such as mass balance, heat transfer, and chemical kinetics and their application to unit operations
- Relevant research experience implementing data analytics, machine learning or statistical analysis techniques
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
- Motivated self-starter with the ability to work independently and to participate creatively in collaborative teams across the laboratory
- Ability to function well in a fast-paced research environment, set priorities to accomplish multiple tasks within deadlines, and adapt to ever changing needs
Please submit three letters of reference when applying to this position. You can upload these directly to your application or have them sent to email@example.com with the position title and number referenced in the subject line.
Instructions to upload documents to your candidate profile:
- Login to your account via jobs.ornl.gov
- View Profile
- Under the My Documents section, select Add a Document
Applicants cannot have received their Ph.D. more than five years prior to the date of application and must complete all degree requirements before starting their appointment. The appointment length will be for up to 24 months with the potential for extension. Initial appointments and extensions are subject to performance and the availability of funding.
This position requires the ability to obtain and maintain a clearance from the Department of Energy. As such, this position is a Workplace Substance Abuse (WSAP) testing designated position. WSAP positions require passing a pre-placement drug test and participation in an ongoing random drug testing program.
Moving can be overwhelming and expensive. UT-Battelle offers a generous relocation package to ease the transition process. Domestic and international relocation assistance is available for certain positions. If invited to interview, be sure to ask your Recruiter (Talent Acquisition Partner) for details.
For more information about our benefits, working here, and living here, visit the “About” tab at jobs.ornl.gov.
This position will remain open for a minimum of 5 days after which it will close when a qualified candidate is identified and/or hired.
We accept Word (.doc, .docx), Adobe (unsecured .pdf), Rich Text Format (.rtf), and HTML (.htm, .html) up to 5MB in size. Resumes from third party vendors will not be accepted; these resumes will be deleted and the candidates submitted will not be considered for employment.
If you have trouble applying for a position, please email ORNLRecruiting@ornl.gov.
ORNL is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants, including individuals with disabilities and protected veterans, are encouraged to apply. UT-Battelle is an E-Verify employer.