Public Affairs Assistant/Trainee - USDA Food Safety and Inspection Service
Job Title: Public Affairs Assistant/Trainee
Agency: U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA)
Sub-Agency: Food Safety and Inspection Service (FSIS)
Session: Summer 2022
Format (Location): Virtual (355 E St. SW, Washington, DC, 20024)
Hours Per Week: 40
Description: The candidate will learn to write and edit communication plans, press releases, media statements, conduct research, pull news clips, etc. Depending on how quickly the candidate learns, the student might pitch Spanish language media and could possibly give interviews in Spanish after receiving media training.
- data gathering and cleaning
- statistical analysis of agency and industry data
- creating charts and tables
- developing economic analyses for regulatory impact analyses
- conducting literature reviews and general research
- other duties as needed
- Undergraduate student: Communication, Journalism, Political Science, English
- Candidate must have ability to write grammatically correct in both English and Spanish, have ability to speak fluently in both English and Spanish, ability to learn communication principles, and conduct research.
About USDA and HACU
For the past 27 years, USDA has partnered with HACU to provide internship opportunities for hundreds of undergraduate and graduate students. These internships provide valuable professional experience for students while also exposing students to the important work that is done at USDA. The students also make significant contributions to the sub-agencies.
This partnership with HACU represents a larger USDA strategy aimed at ensuring a diverse, prepared, and competitive workforce that is vital to establishing a sustainable agricultural future. As a result of their positive internship experiences and supportive and inclusive culture at USDA, many former HACU students are now members of the USDA permanent workforce.