Data Science - Summer Internship
CMS values the contributions made by students and recent graduates of all backgrounds. We continually benefit from a diverse workforce that includes students and recent graduates who infuse the workplace with their enthusiasm, talents, and unique perspectives.
About the role:
As a Data Scientist, you will you will have direct access to big data. See responsibilities below for more specifics.
If you are selected for a summer internship, your duty station will be established as part of your firm job offer from CMS (i.e. location negotiable). As of the closing date of this announcement, CMS anticipates that summer internship duties would be at performed at one of CMS' offices or 100% virtually/remotely.
If your internship is determined to be in-person, your duty station will be established as one of the following locations: Woodlawn, MD; Bethesda, MD; Washington D.C.; Atlanta, GA; Boston, MA; Chicago, IL; Dallas, TX; Denver, CO; Kansas City, MO; New York, NY; Philadelphia, PA; San Francisco, CA; Seattle, WA; or Puerto Rico.
If your internship is determined to be 100% telework, your worksite must be within the United States and you must adhere to all regulations and policies regarding remote work at CMS and in the federal government, including the signing of a telework agreement.
What you'll do:
- Participate in using code and statistical analysis to collect, analyze, and interpret data.
- Adjust and correlate data into logical results.
- Perform statistical and other advanced analysis to find patterns and relationships within large volumes of data.
- Collect data and information, performing data quality reviews, running statistical models, conduct data analysis, and provide assessments to management.
- Support preparation of reports including creation of visualizations (e.g., graphs in excel), translation to business intelligence tools, and/or development of written materials to convey statistical information and business insights.
• You must be a U.S. Citizen or National to apply for this position.
• You must possess a cumulative GPA of 3.0 or higher on a 4.0 scale.
• You will be subject to a background and suitability investigation.
• You must sign a Pathways Participant Agreement before starting employment.
• You must be 16 years old to be employed by the Federal government.
• Applicants who graduate college at the conclusion of the Spring 2022 semester may only be considered if they remain enrolled and are also accepted for enrollment for the Summer 2022 or Fall 2022 semester.
Completion of 1 full academic year of graduate level education. One year of full-time graduate education is considered to be the number of credit hours that the school attended has determined to represent 1 year of full-time study. If that information cannot be obtained from the school, 18 semester hours should be considered as satisfying the 1 year of full-time study requirement. Part-time graduate education is creditable in accordance with its relationship to a year of full-time study at the school attended.
Superior Academic Achievement:
A bachelor's degree from an accredited college or university AND one of the following provisions of superior academic achievement: NOTE: If you are claiming S.A.A. you must provide an unofficial transcript at the time of application that documents this claim:
- A grade-point average of "B" (3.0 or higher on a 4.0 scale) for all completed undergraduate courses or those completed in the last two years of undergraduate study. For example, 2.95 is rounded to 3.0, and 2.94 is rounded to 2.9.
- A grade-point average of 3.5 or higher on a 4.0 scale for all required courses completed in your major field of study, or those required courses in your major completed in the last two years of your undergraduate study.
- Rank in the upper one-third of your class in the college, university, or major subdivision.
- Membership in a national honor society (other than freshman honor societies) recognized by the Association of College Honor Societies
- AND - You must be enrolled, pursuing, or have completed a degree or coursework related to the position. You must meet one of the following:
Bachelor's or higher degree in mathematics, statistics, computer science, data science, or in a field directly related to the position. The degree must be in a major field of study (at least at the baccalaureate level) that is appropriate for the position.
- OR -
Combination of education and experience: Courses equivalent to a major field of study (30 semester hours) as shown in paragraph A above, plus additional education or appropriate experience.
- OR -
Current student pursuing a degree or coursework in mathematics, statistics, computer science, data science, or in a field directly related to the position and will meet one of the above requirements prior to graduation.
TRANSCRIPTS are required at the time of application to verify satisfactory completion of education as part of the program eligibility and qualification requirements. You must submit an unofficial transcript from your Institution attesting to your possession of the required education. All unofficial transcripts must include the following: current overall GPA, enrollment status, major, and the number of credits for each course. If you do not submit a transcript indicating your possession of the required education, you will not be considered for this position.
You MUST apply through USAJOBS to be considered.
Apply by 2/22/22!