Do you dare to reinvent the future of education?
At Cengage, we are harnessing the power of tech to build a future where all learners have the tools and confidence to achieve their goals.
As a Cengage employee you will pioneer transforming the way people learn. Collaborating with the best of the best, you will feel challenged and inspired to do breakthrough work. With the support of our united team, there is no limit to what you can imagine, create and set in motion.
Are we right for you?
We set the bar higher by bringing our unique talents and point of view to the table every day. We are curious and comfortable with change and are willing to take risks to transform education. Most importantly, with everything we do, we put learning first.
What You’ll Do Here:
The Tax Analyst position is responsible for assisting the tax team with preparing the company's U.S. federal and state income tax returns, and tax provisions in accordance with ASC 740. The candidate will also research solutions to tax issues and assist with tax planning projects. This is a unique opportunity to be a part of a world-class tax organization and to develop leadership skills while assuming greater responsibilities over time.
- Prepare U.S. federal consolidated income tax returns, subsidiary federal proforma income tax returns and international information returns.
- Prepare state and local income, franchise, and revenue-based tax returns.
- Assist in calculating and recording of the Company’s monthly, quarterly, and annual tax provision in accordance with ASC 740, performing a detailed analysis of current and deferred federal, state, local and foreign taxes from both an income statement and balance sheet perspective.
- Assist with tax planning implementation projects, as needed.
- Prepare quarterly estimated tax returns and payments and annual tax return extension requests.
- Research technical tax issues (federal, state, and international area) and write related support memorandums, incorporating both the appropriate tax treatment as well as alternate positions.
- Assist in business planning, including calculating estimated tax provisions and cash tax forecasts.
- Assist with the identification and implementation of tax department process improvements to ensure the accuracy and adequate documentation of all tax calculations, reports, and filings.
- Assist with responses to inquiries and correspondence from federal, state and local tax authorities.
- Ensure the Company’s tax files are well-organized, properly maintained, and available to address audit examination issues.
- Develop a working understanding of tax compliance and financial reporting processes as well as Cengage’s business and ethos.
- Develop a working understanding of financial reporting and tax technologies and how they interact with each other.
Skills You Will Need Here
- Bachelor’s degree in Accounting
- Master’s in Tax or Accounting candidate, not required but preferred
- 0 to 3 years of federal and state income tax compliance and provision preparation
- Self-starter with strong communication and inter-personal skills; ability to communicate in an effective and respectful manner with peers and management
- Ability to work successfully in a team environment
- Takes initiative to learn and build new skills and knowledge while completing deliverables in a timely and accurate manner
- Ability to assist with the management of tax filings and projects on a day-to-day basis and complete them within appropriate time periods with expected results
- Must be detail-oriented with a commitment to quality and accuracy
- Computer skills include working knowledge of Microsoft Excel, Microsoft Word and PowerPoint
Cengage Group is proud to be an Equal Employment Opportunity and Affirmative Action employer. We do not discriminate based upon race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, veteran status, marital status, parental status, cultural background, organizational level, work styles, tenure and life experiences. Or for any other reason. You may view Cengage’s EEO/Affirmative Action Policy signed by CEO Michael Hansen and Equal Employment Opportunity is the Law notice by visiting their corresponding links.
Cengage Group is committed to providing reasonable accommodations for qualified individuals with disabilities in our job application procedures. If you need assistance or an accommodation due to a disability, you may contact us.
If you are a Colorado state resident, please email
firstname.lastname@example.org to receive compensation information for this role. Please be sure to include this posting’s job ID in the subject line of the email to help ensure a timely response.
About Cengage Group
Cengage Group, a global education technology company serving millions of learners, provides affordable, quality digital products and services that equip students with the skills and competencies needed to be job ready. For more than 100 years, we have enabled the power and joy of learning with trusted, engaging content, and now, integrated digital platforms. We serve the higher education, workforce skills, secondary education, English language teaching and research markets worldwide. Through our scalable technology, including MindTap and Cengage Unlimited, we support all learners who seek to improve their lives and achieve their dreams through education.