22-26R Data Solutions Architect (Data Architect I)
Only candidates who apply via email to (HR “at” TWDB.texas.gov) with an official State of Texas Application or through the WorkInTexas.com website will be considered for this position. View this position and apply at https://tinyurl.com/y4uo3znk.
The Texas Water Development Board (TWDB) endorses telecommuting and hybrid workplace plans, in addition to other flexible work alternatives. We offer competitive compensation and benefits package including medical, dental, vision, 401(k), flexible spending, and flexible work hours so you can have a work/life balance! For more information about these benefits and more visit: http://www.twdb.texas.gov/jobs/benefits.asp.
*Salary commensurate with experience and qualifications.
*Previous Applicants will be considered.
Job Description Summary
The Texas Water Development Board is a data driven agency with highly motivated and engaged employees. Our agencys mission is to lead the states efforts in ensuring a secure water future for Texas and its citizens. We are currently seeking a talented Data Solutions Architect to join our Data Services Department. The Data Solution Architect performs highly complex (senior-level) data architecture, business semantics layer, Solution design, cloud-based delivery and manages the end-to-end data solution framework. Key focus involves data modeling; implementing and managing database systems, data warehouses, and data analytics; and designing strategies and setting standards for operations, programming, and security. Experience in implementing Cloud based Datawarehouse-as-a-service and provisioning data structures for data science and analytics models. May supervise the work of others. Works under limited supervision, with moderate latitude for the use of initiative and independent judgment. Reports to the Manager of the Data Services Department.
Essential Job Functions
- Determines database requirements by analyzing business operations, applications, and programming; reviewing business objectives; and evaluating current systems.
- Obtains data model requirements, develops, and implements data models for new projects, and maintains existing data models and data architectures.
- Develops data structures for data warehouses and data mart projects and initiatives; and supports data analytics and business intelligence systems.
- Implements corresponding database changes to support new and modified applications, and ensures new designs conform to data standards and guidelines; are consistent, normalized, and perform as required; and are secure from unauthorized access or update.
- Provides guidelines on creating data models and various standards relating to Data Governance.
- Reviews changes to technical and business metadata, realizing their impacts on enterprise applications, and ensures the impacts are communicated to appropriate parties.
- Experience in implementing cloud-based data warehouse-as-a-solution and provisioning data structures for data science and analytics models.
- Develops goals and objectives for the use and improvement of an efficient and cost-effective data system.
- Recommends and implements database security standards and controls, and user access levels.
- Evaluates and recommends database software packages for potential acquisition.
- Maintains confidential and sensitive information.
- Establishes measures to chart progress related to the completeness and quality of metadata for enterprise information; to support reduction of data redundancy and fragmentation and elimination of unnecessary movement of data; and to improve data quality.
- Assists in selecting data management tools and developing the standards, usage guidelines, and procedures for using those tools.
- Assists in identifying appropriate data sourcing and extraction processes, and in identifying and nominating sources as systems of record for data usage in various applications.
- Ensures individual and team files (electronic and hard versions) are appropriately maintained and timely disposed of in accordance with the agencys records retention procedures and schedule.
- Maintains required certifications and licenses and meets the continuing education needs and requirements of the position to include, attending mandatory training courses.
- May be required to operate a state or personal vehicle for business purposes.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- Graduation from an accredited four-year college or university with major course work in Data Science, Business Analytics, Computer Science, Information Science, Information Technology, or a related field.
- One to two years of data architecture, data modeling including NF models, denormalized, STAR, SNOWFLAKE, OLAP models, data warehouse solutions, data quality control.
- Relevant education and experience may be substituted on a year-for-year basis.
- Experience with cloud based data warehouse-as-a-solution (AWS, AZURE, SNOWFLAKE etc.,) and Big Data Solutions (Hadoop, Hive, Spark), Enterprise Information Management Process Architecture and BI principles.
- Experience with ERSTUDIO or other data modeling tools, master data management and reference data management.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities (KSAs)
- Knowledge of local, state, and federal laws and regulations relevant to the Data Services Department; and of the principles and practices of public administration.
- Knowledge of Windows Server 2012/2016/2019 and SQL server Enterprise.
- Knowledge of data modeling concepts (star schema, snowflake, denormalization, M/R/HOLAP) and data virtualization concepts.
- Knowledge of project management and software development lifecycle.
- Knowledge of relational database management systems, metadata management, and business intelligence and business analytics tools; of local, state, and federal laws and regulations relevant to data management and data governance; of the limitations and capabilities of computer systems; of technology across all network layers and computer platforms; and of operational support of networks, operating systems, internet technologies, databases, and security applications.
- Skills in using Microsoft Office programs such as Word, Excel, and Access.
- Skills in use of internet, email, word processing, spreadsheet, presentation, and database software.
- Skills in the use of applicable software, and in project management and system development lifecycle concepts.
- Ability to adhere to work schedules, follow procedures with respect to leave and submit accurate timesheets by prescribed deadlines.
- Ability to make mature, objective decisions and identify areas of potential problems.
- Ability to perform effectively and willingly when changes occur in scope and nature of the work and work environment.
- Ability to perform routine and non-routine work assignments accurately and on-time with little or no supervision.
- Ability to perform assigned duties and improve work habits and/or output.
- Ability to complete assigned work, on time, neatly and with infrequent errors.
- Ability to interpret policies, procedures, and regulations.
- Ability to provide prompt, courteous and accurate assistance and clear and concise communication to internal and external stakeholders both verbally and in writing.
- Ability to work and cooperate with others in a team environment.
- Ability to manage multiple tasks.
- Ability to stand/sit/move with no physical limitations or aids to perform activities such as retrieve/replace files in a large file system for boxes up to 30 lbs.
- Ability and willingness to travel 5% of the time, primarily within the State of Texas.
- Ability to operate a vehicle (state or personal) for state business and maintain a drivers license and driving record that complies with state and agency requirements.
- Ability to work days that may exceed 8 hours, including early mornings, nights, and weekends.
- Ability to train others.