Energy Engineer - Distributed Energy Resources
Go Sustainable Energy is considering full-time candidates for 2022 for an Energy Engineer - Distributed Energy Resources. This position will focus on distributed energy resource business models, electrical utility business models, electric regulation, and electric policy. The Energy Engineer - Distributed Energy Resources would support Go Sustainable Energy's growing distributed energy resource consultancy. This engineer would also work with Go Sustainable Energy's wholly owned subsidiary, Runnerstone, which provides accurate, unbiased information to clients on energy policy, regulation, and market matters.
Our team serves Ohio’s leading businesses, cities, manufacturers, healthcare systems, and utilities on energy efficiency and sustainable energy, from our Dayton, Columbus, and Cleveland offices. In addition to delivering accurate, unbiased information to our clients on energy, our team is focused on continued development of our own knowledge of energy systems.
How to apply:
If you’d like to join our team of experts, please apply utilizing the link found here.
Required skills/background must include:
- Engineering degree - mechanical, electrical, energy, or civil preferred; graduate degree or 2+ years of experience also preferred
- Coursework in thermodynamics, heat transfer, and/or energy engineering
- Strong technical research and report writing skills
Desired skills and background include:
- Familiarity with electricity regulation and Ohio's energy policies
- Knowledgeable on retail and wholesale energy markets
- Knowledgeable on electricity tariffs and retail energy purchasing strategies
- Comfortable collaborating with non-engineering energy professionals, academics, legal counsel, and policy experts on joint work products
- Ability to initiate and manage communications with a range of stakeholders, including legal counsel, lobbyists, government officials, academics, energy business professionals, etc.
- Confidence and skill with networking with a wide range of stakeholders
- Confidence in presenting to stakeholders in client meetings, client or association committees, and public testimony
- Knowledgeable about distributed energy resources, including solar photovoltaic, wind turbines, combined heat and power, battery energy storage systems, and peak load management.
- Familiar with electrical grid operations and fundamentals of electrical engineering.
- Familiarity with developing request for proposals (RFPs) and scoring proposals
- Experience with analyzing large amounts of data.
- Ability to manage/lead diverse projects.
Company services include:
- Electric regulation - technical review of rate cases, regulatory rule making, and other electricity cases. Deliverables include memorandums, comments and reply comments, informal but timely email communication, prepared testimony, public presentations, etc.
- Electric policy - technical review of relevant legislation. Deliverables include memorandums, email communication, prepared testimony, public presentations, and timely advice to a range of stakeholders.
- Distributed energy resource (DER) technical and economic assessment for customer applications
- Request for Proposal development for DER, assistance with developing scoring categories and/or serving on a scoring committee, follow-up contract and construction advice
- DER business model development, including identification of needed regulatory and policy changes
While this engineering position will have a focus on our DER, regulatory, and policy services, the engineer should expect to support from time-to-time other engineering services Go Sustainable Energy offers, including energy audits, commissioning, energy management consulting, and measurement and verification of energy savings projects.
What it’s like working for Go Sustainable Energy:
Go Sustainable Energy has a strong passion for energy-efficiency and sustainability. We believe energy-efficiency and environmentally sustainable designs are necessary investments for the world’s future and can be more cost-effective through smart engineering. We promote this vision by providing accurate and unbiased information to our clients to help them make smart sustainable energy investments with optimal rates of return.
Our team of engineers is a highly educated and experienced group who take pride in our work. We take a progressive attitude towards our company’s business models and work philosophies to maintain healthy lives and a fun, intellectually stimulating work environment.
Go offers a comprehensive benefits package that includes medical, dental, vision, short term disability, long term disability, life insurance, paid time off, paid parental leave, 401(k), and 401(k) match.
At Go, we understand that in order to be an employer of choice, not only do you need fun and creative programs and benefits, but you also need to strive too consistently better yourself. To that end, Go implemented a State of Ohio Affirmative Action program in February 2020. The implementation of this program has allowed us to begin to have conversations surrounding our efforts in diversity, equity, and inclusion (DEI). More recently, we created our DEI working group. This group, made up of a mix of partners, engineers, and support staff, will help to shape Go’s policies and efforts regarding DEI in the near term and long term.
Go Sustainable Energy is an Equal Opportunity Employer.