Merchandising Development Rotation Program (June 2022 Start)
The June 2022 Merchandise Development Trainee is responsible for participating in an accelerated, rotational training program to learn the foundations of a retail business. The trainee will apply knowledge gained through participation in classroom, on-the-job, and computer-based learning activities with the support of a Rotation Manager. Trainees will learn about the Tractor Supply Company's mission, values, history, and culture; basic retail math, our systems, and receive an overview of the responsibilities across the Merchandising, Inventory, and Planning, Supply Chain, Merchandise Presentation, Marketing, Omni Channel, Product Development and Pricing departments. Trainees will complete relevant duties in their assigned department and will participate in a group project which will be presented at the conclusion of the program. Upon successful completion of the program, graduates will be placed in their assigned department.
- Complete rotations through Merchandising and Merchandising Support areas of the Store Support Center (SSC).
- Shadow team members to understand the process flow and the big picture.
- Contribute to the business through guided on-the-job rotation activities.
- Visit stores, DC, and the Merchandise Innovation Center (MIC).
- Participate in group and individual training sessions on technical and soft skills such as time management, change management, strategic thinking, and personal accountability. Demonstrate learning through successful completion of program assessments.
- Apply new skills and knowledge to complete duties in the assigned department.
- Complete a team project using knowledge gained through rotations and collaboration with internal partners. Present findings to senior leadership.
- Create an individual development plan with assistance from the Program and HR Mentor.
Experience: Prior retail experience preferred. Prior leadership experience preferred.
Education: Recent graduate with a Bachelor’s or Master’s degree in Business, Retail Management, Supply Chain, Marketing or related field required. Any suitable combination of education and experience will be considered.
Other knowledge, skills, or abilities:
- Demonstrated analytical ability in order to drive retail profitability and inventory productivity.
- A high degree of intellectual curiosity and personal drive.
- Proven team player with strong collaboration skills.
- Skilled verbal and written communicator.
- Ability to manage multiple tasks and meet aggressive deadlines.
- Detail orientation and ability to be highly organized in managing work.