Business Intelligence Developer III
We are looking for someone who loves all things data, loves a challenge and is looking for a dynamic and highly rewarding position at a nationally respected university. Is this you? Our ideal candidates will help Miami University continue to take big steps forward with our data analytics environment that is unifying successful data analysis efforts across campus. This is a chance to help guide Miami’s data-driven future.
As the Business Intelligence Developer III and a member of our team reporting to the Director of the Business Intelligence Center, you will have great opportunities to grow technically and professionally in multiple data disciplines. In this position, you will be able to support and advance our full stack of BI technologies.
Our Business Intelligence Developer III team members will seek improvements in tools, processes, and services to advance the use of analytics.
Key duties include:
• Troubleshoots complex reports, dashboards, and data visualizations.
• Fulfills security access requests.
• Analyzes and designs security roles and groups.
• Makes subject areas and data available through reporting tools.
• Develops complex reports, dashboards, and data visualizations, including validating results.
• Leads the upgrade and configuration of analytics and reporting tools.
• Works in partnership with the university offices to develop custom analytics solutions, including the development of stories and test cases.
• Fulfills support tickets.
• Supports university data governance, including the design of documentation and metadata.
• Develops monitoring of production loads.
• Supports, develops, and/or delivers end-user training and training materials and provides guidance and mentoring for the campus BI Community.
• Assesses analytics and reporting tools and technologies.
• Acts as a mentor for other Business Intelligence Developer staff.
• Actively promotes a customer-oriented approach throughout IT Services.
As a member of the Miami team, you will be a part of our efforts to pursue the best solutions for the University and have great opportunities to grow technically and professionally through annual training.
Miami University recognizes that technology enables us to find new ways of providing first-class service and workplace flexibility. This position is approved for remote work on a full-time or hybrid basis. Remote work is a working arrangement that can be modified or revoked by Miami University at any time for any reason.
Bachelor's degree in Computer Science, Information Technology, Business Analytics, or a related field earned by date of hire and four or more years of relevant experience.
We are looking for you to have strong knowledge and experience in:
• Developing reports, dashboards, and data visualizations, including SQL programming.
• Relational database architectures at enterprise scale. Environments such as SQL Server, MySQL, Oracle, or Redshift.
• Enterprise business intelligence and data analytics technologies, such as Oracle OBIEE, MS Power BI, Tableau, Oracle Warehouse Builder (OWB), and Oracle Data Integrator (ODI).
• BI development best practices such as source code, prototyping, and testing.
• Basic troubleshooting best practices with specific focus on enterprise BI systems.
• Data analytics and BI industry trends including data mining, data modeling, machine learning, visualization, data lakes and predictive modeling.
• Supporting BI technology and security in a higher educational setting.
• Analytical tools available in cloud infrastructure such as AWS, Azure, and GCP.
• Concepts behind and experience with Machine Learning use in data transformation and reporting.
• Working with Linux and Windows OS and a basic understanding of networking.
• Testing and validating against expected results.
• Working as a member of a team using Agile development techniques (Scrum or Kanban)
• Communicating and troubleshooting with technical and non-technical audiences.
• Developing documentation and training materials.
• Data governance
Miami is committed to a culture of health and wellness on campus with several benefits, healthcare, and wellness programs. Health, dental, vision, life and long-term disability insurance, tuition fee waiver, paid sick and parental leave, paid vacation, paid holidays; state sponsored, alternate and supplemental retirement plans are part of our employee benefits package. Plus you can be part of the University’s academic culture and can teach one credit bearing course per semester.
Miami University is committed to creating an inclusive and effective teaching, learning, research, and working environment for all. For more information on Miami University’s diversity initiatives, please visit the office of institutional diversity & inclusion webpage. For more information on Miami University’s mission and core values, please visit the mission and core values webpage.
Miami University, an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer, encourages applications from minorities, women, protected veterans and individuals with disabilities. Miami University prohibits harassment, discrimination and retaliation on the basis of age (40 years or older), color, disability, gender identity or expression, genetic information, military status, national origin (ancestry), pregnancy, race, religion, sex/gender, status as a parent or foster parent, sexual orientation, or protected veteran status in its application and admission processes, educational programs and activities, facilities, programs or employment practices. Requests for reasonable accommodations for disabilities related to employment should be directed to the department at 513-529-3560.
As part of the university’s commitment to maintaining a healthy and safe living, learning, and working environment, we encourage you to read Miami University’s annual security & fire safety report online, which contains information about campus safety, crime statistics, and our drug and alcohol abuse and prevention program designed to prevent the unlawful possession, use, and distribution of drugs and alcohol on campus and at university events and activities. This report also contains information on programs and policies designed to prevent and address sexual violence, domestic violence, dating violence, and stalking. Each year, email notification of this website is made to all faculty, staff, and enrolled students. Written notification is also provided to prospective students and employees. Hard copies of the annual security & fire safety report may be obtained from the Miami University police department at (513) 529-2223.
Miami University is committed to providing up-to-date information from the department of labor to our applicants for employment. Here, you will find links to the current information regarding the family and medical leave act (FMLA), equal employment opportunity (EEO), and the employee polygraph protection act (EPPA).