IT Lead Database Administrator
Database Administrators are responsible for the definition, creation and maintenance of enterprise databases. Database Administrators analyze, test and implement physical database designs supporting various business applications (including structure, documentation, long-range requirements, operational guidelines); and ensure data recovery, maintenance, data integrity and space requirement needs are assessed and met.
- Resolve problems and answer questions related to the database and platform environment (e.g. Windows, UNIX, LINUX).
- Closely monitor performance; identify problems and implement solutions; ensure database is running at optimum speed and efficiency.
- Respond quickly to refresh data; verify implementation of correct backup strategy; develop recovery procedures; support recovery from loss of data caused by user or system error.
- Keep product at current release and maintenance levels; install supporting products; provide current stable production and development environments.
- Use tools to reorganize or de-fragment database table spaces, tables and indexes; provide efficient database environment to maximize productivity and improve performance.
- Refresh data from one environment to another at the request of the application development staff; execute necessary tasks to accomplish this, including export, drop, create and import.
- Research and recommend optimal design criteria; publish standards and work with development staff; standardize environment and improve efficiency.
- Monitor file system space, database allocation, etc.; verify efficient use of disk storage; reclaim dead space; optimize space allocation and avoid out of space conditions.
Technical Knowledge/Skills: Applies extensive technical expertise and has full knowledge of other related disciplines. Expert in relevant database products (e.g. MS SQL, Oracle) and associated products.
Problem Solving: Expert knowledge in working on unusually complex technical problems in a consulting role. Provides solutions which are highly innovative and ingenious. Assignments are often self-initiated
Project Management: Mastery knowledge and expertise of General Project Management. (Refer to the Evaluation Guide for General Project Management for further details).
Database Product: Expert in relevant database products (MS SQL, Oracle)
Database Performance and Tuning: Expert in database performance and tuning.
Operating System: Mastery knowledge of relevant operating system.
Utility Tools: Expert in relevant utility tools.
Associated Products: Expert in associated products.
Environment: Database support in real time mission critical systems environment involving applications applications such as Energy Management Systems (EMS), Supervisory Control and Data Acquisition (SCADA Systems), Distribution Management Systems (DMS).
Education: Bachelor’s degree or the equivalent
Experience: Minimum of 10 years of related experience
Licenses & Certifications: None
- Work is performed primarily in an office environment.
- Must be available to work emergency restoration assignment as required.
- Must be available to travel between CT/MA/NH as necessary.