This is responsible, specialized work in purchasing and expediting supplies, equipment, services, and other commodities for use by the City. Work involves responsibility for promoting efficient utilization of City funds in acquisition of commodities and services; evaluating market conditions and trends; planning short-range and long-range objectives; developing terms and conditions for goods and services; surveying markets for supply sources; preparing bid invitations; and preparing reports and correspondence. Work requires the exercise of considerable judgment, tact, discretion, and diplomacy; the ability to work competently using a personal computer; and the ability to learn and work within established City policies, procedures, and regulations.
Salary: $51,195 - $83,357
Close Date: 05-09-2022 (11:59 PM)
Minimum Qualifications. Applicants must:
· Have graduated from an accredited two-year college or university with major course work in business administration, accounting, or a related field.
· Possess and continue to maintain certification as a Professional Public Buyer (CPPB) or must obtain and continue to maintain the certification within 60 months of appointment to the position.
· Possess and continue to maintain a valid Driver License.
· Have excellent computer skills, including advanced skill in the use of Microsoft Word and Excel.
· Be able to communicate clearly and concisely, orally and in writing.
Desirable Qualifications. Preferred applicants:
· Have a valid Bachelor’s Degree.
· Have experience in the use of purchasing technology hardware and software.
· Have considerable experience using principles, practices and procedures governing municipal procurement and making large volume purchases.
· Have considerable experience in volume purchasing of a variety of general and specialized items.
· Have considerable experience interpreting market prices and trends, researching, and analyzing products and trends, applying market information to purchasing matters, and investigating and resolving supplier performance issues.
· Have knowledge of accounting and bookkeeping principles and methods related to purchasing and maintenance of procurement records.
· Have considerable professional experience conducting business and providing customer service in person, by telephone, and by email.
· Are skilled in maintaining accurate, detailed records and performing standard arithmetic calculations with speed and accuracy.
IMPORTANT APPLICATION INSTRUCTIONS
For purposes of employment, re-employment, promotion, transfer or demotion, the most qualified applicants will be selected to continue in the hiring process. At this point, any prior criminal records will be verified. A prior criminal record will not necessarily disqualify a selected applicant from employment.
The City of St. Petersburg is committed to a Drug Free Workplace and compliance with the Department of Transportation (DOT) drug testing rules. Applicants may be required to successfully complete pre-employment drug testing and/or medical exams.
Apply online at www.stpete.org/jobs - Select Apply for Jobs/Register/View Job Postings. City employees must use the Current City Employee link or use a City computer to access iRecruitment Employee Candidate. The City of St. Petersburg is committed to affirmative action and equal opportunity employment, and encourages individuals with disabilities and veterans to apply for posted positions. In accordance with Chapter 295 of the Florida Statutes, qualified servicemembers/veterans and the spouses/family members of certain servicemembers/veterans receive preference/priority in employment. Eligible applicants are responsible to apply for Veterans’ Preference at the time of submission of any job application. Reasonable accommodations may be made for qualified individuals with disabilities to apply, to interview for positions and to perform the essential job functions.