2022 Summer Internship Development Program - Anti-Money Laundering Model Optimization / Business Intelligence Intern
The Raymond James Anti-Money Laundering (AML) & Financial Crimes Management (FCM) team will be sponsoring an internship opportunity within the Model Optimization/Business Intelligence team. This is a quantitative role for those interested in computer science, data science/analytics or any other quantitative discipline. This team enjoys a target rich environment for learning and honing technical/quantitative/analytic skills. This internships will involve applied learning opportunities.
Exposure to and use of contemporary enabling technology tools like relational databases, visual analytics (Tableau) and scripting languages such as SQL, Python, R, etc. The use of technology will be extended to vendor applications that play key roles for the AML/FCM team.
The key asset of any organization is data. The opportunity to interrogate, manipulate and summarize data to meet AML risk objectives is critical. This internship will be designed to allow hands on experience for real world risk issues. The successful candidate will be provided an opportunity to assist with a value add experience for Raymond James that may involve data acquisition, data quality assessments, evaluation of data for risk needs and leveraging that data to help design control environment improvements.
Model Usage and Model Risk Management
AML uses models to provide estimates of risk for the AML/FCM team. This risk must be documented, managed and monitored with appropriate ongoing monitoring controls. In addition, there is prescriptive regulatory guidance and expectations on the use of models for all financial institutions. The opportunity to learn how models are governed by the team and how risk escalations are handled will be a core component of this intership.
The AML/FCM team has a dedicated Business Intelligence team that helps drive access to data. This access provides efficiency for the operational processes, reporting summarization and risk insight. The internship will provide insights to how Raymond James is currently solving those needs with an opportunity to assist with the team’s day to day challenges. The team uses a cutting edge visual analytics tool that is widely regarded within the industry.
AML Risk Challenges and Needs
This team supports and AML Risk function. The team’s primary objective is to help with the identification of risk or strengthen the control environment to mitigate risk. This internship will focus heavily on how the data, technology, analytics and models are used to achieve that goal.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Specified projects and varied assignments.
- Operates standard office equipment and uses required software applications.
- Performs other duties and responsibilities as assigned.
Qualifications - External
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Fundamental concepts, practices and procedures of a professional office environment.
- Basic concepts, principles and practices of an assigned business unit.
- Scripting languages: SQL, R, Python
- Operating standard office equipments and using, or have the ability to learn, required software applications.
- Organize and prioritize multiple tasks and meet deadlines.
- Communicate effectively, both orally and in writing.
- Work independently as well as collaboratively within a team environment.
- Provide a high level of customer service.
- Establish and maintain effective working relationships
Educational/Previous Experience Requirements:
Any equivalent combination of experience, education, and/or training approved by Human Resources.