Staff Data Science
About the position:
This position will be within the new Fluence Digital business unit, formed following Fluence’s acquisition of San Francisco-based start-up AMS. Fluence Digital’s software technology uses artificial intelligence, advanced price forecasting, portfolio optimization and market bidding to ensure energy storage and flexible generation assets are responding optimally to price signals sent by the market.
As a Staff Data Scientist, you will provide technology leadership and partner with cross-functional teams to develop and guide our energy price forecasting products. You will be able to identify the most impactful projects, proactively remove impediments, and successfully drive towards key initiatives. You are skilled at mentorship and coaching, and passionate about growing other leaders from within the Data Science team.
- Work alongside other Data Scientists on developing cutting edge Machine Learning (ML) algorithms to forecast energy prices used to bid renewable energy assets into energy markets
- Provide strong technical leadership for Fluence Digital’s Forecasting products
- Stay current with latest advances in ML and statistical methods for time series forecasting, bringing relevant advances to the team for deeper investigation and potential implementation
- Investigate, evangelize and help implement software development and MLOps best practices in forecast application with a goal of constant improvement
- Work with Software Engineering and Data Science teams to design, deploy and monitor ML models and pipelines in production
- Define and monitor key metrics around forecasting algorithm performance
- Contribute to a strong culture of R&D in the Data Science team with the goal of constant improvement in algorithm performance
- Establish and communicate best practices and standards in software engineering to ensure best in class operations
- Expand team through hiring as needed
- Model and cultivate a culture of inclusivity, trust, exceptional communication, collaboration, respect, continuous learning, and enthusiasm for our work
What will our ideal candidate bring to Fluence?
- 7+ years of experience developing and deploying ML models to production, preferably using Python
- Hands on experience or working familiarity with generating probabilistic time series forecasting using both classical and ML based techniques a plus
- Hands on experience with deep learning models a plus
- Knowledge of the Energy industry, especially energy markets, a plus
- Demonstrated ability to collaborate with cross-functional teams and build solid working relationships — from individual contributors to executives
- Experience working and delivering products or services in an agile/lean environment
- Excellent communication skills