IT Systems Administration - Journey
Per Governor Inslee’s Proclamation 21-14.2 (Download PDF reader), Washington State employees must be fully vaccinated against COVID-19. As a condition of employment, the successful candidate will be required to provide proof of their COVID-19 vaccination as part of the hiring process, prior to their start date. Requests for medical and religious exemptions will be considered. If you have questions, please contact Careers@ecy.wa.gov with “COVID-19 vaccination” in the subject line.
Keeping Washington Clean and Evergreen
The Information Technology Services Office (ITSO) within the Department of Ecology is looking to fill an IT Systems Administration - Journey position. This position is located in our Headquarters Office in Lacey, WA.
In this role, you will provide IT support and services to Ecology scientists, environmental specialists and support staff at Ecology’s Manchester Environmental Laboratory and Vancouver Field Office. You get to travel frequently between these locations; providing desktop support to your customers as well as administering servers and other IT infrastructure. You will work with a wide variety of IT systems and software tools such as PowerStore appliances, VMware, SolarWinds, Rubrik, Jira Servicedesk and more. Be part of a dynamic IT team committed to exceptional customer service and protecting, preserving and enhancing Washington’s environment. #ITwiz #jackoftrades #roadwarrior #teamplayer
The Information Technology Services Office (ITSO) is the central provider of strategic and tactical support for the use of Information Technology (IT) within Ecology. The mission of ITSO is to create and support useful technology services that adapt for the future and support Ecology’s mission.
About the Department of Ecology
Protecting Washington State's environment for current and future generations is what we do every day at Ecology. We are a culture that is invested in making a difference. Join a team that is highly effective and collaborative, with leadership that embraces the value of people.
Ecology cares deeply about employee wellness; we go beyond traditional benefits, proudly offering:
- A healthy life/work balance by offering flexible schedules and telework options for most positions.
- An Infants at Work Program that is based on the long-term health values of infant-parent bonding and breastfeeding newborns.
- Continuous growth and development opportunities.
- A wellness program that offers education, fitness classes, and an agency-wide fondness for outdoor meetings.
- Opportunities to serve your community and make an impact through meaningful work.
Our commitment to DEIR
Diversity, equity, inclusion, and respect (DEIR) are core values central to Ecology’s work. We strive to be a workplace where we are esteemed for sharing our authentic identities, while advancing our individual professional goals and collaborating to protect, preserve, and enhance the environment for current and future generations.
Diversity: We celebrate and appreciate diversity; our unique perspectives and abilities enrich us all and lead to innovative approaches and solutions.
Equity: We champion equity, recognizing that each of us need different things to thrive.
Inclusion: We intentionally create and hold space so that we all have meaningful opportunities to participate and contribute to Ecology’s work.
Respect: We treat each other with respect and dignity, acknowledging the inherent worth of our diverse perspectives and lived experiences, even in times of uncertainty and disagreement.
We believe that DEIR is both a goal and an action. We are on a journey, honoring our shared humanity and taking steps to demonstrate our commitment to a vision where each of us is heard, seen, and valued.
During Healthy Washington Roadmap to Recovery, employees are working a combination of in-office and/or telework based on position and business need. This position requires 2-3 days per week of on-site work. Ecology is following current state guidance regarding mask requirements, health screening questions before entry, and social distancing. Looking ahead, Ecology has recently updated the agency policies on telework and flexible and compressed work schedules. Applicants with questions about position location options, telework, and flexible or compressed schedules are encouraged to reach out to the contact person listed below in “other information.”
Application Timeline: This position will remain open until filled, with an initial screening date of May 25, 2022. In order to be considered for initial screening, please submit an application on or before May 24, 2022. The agency reserves the right to make an appointment any time after the initial screening date.
What makes this role unique?
Helping people with IT challenges and solving their issues is very rewarding work, as is finding better and easier ways to get work done. This is not the same job every day. You will get to work with a wide variety of people, systems and tools.
What you will do:
- Provide tier 1 and 2 technical desktop support for business customers at Ecology’s Manchester Environmental Laboratory and Vancouver Field Office.
- Perform Active Directory (AD) user and computer account creation, administration, and troubleshooting.
- Administer server appliances, and virtual servers.
- Monitor server health, performance and availability using system management tools such as Windows Server logs, Windows Performance Monitor, System Center Configuration Manager (SCCM), and SolarWinds.
- Establish a safe, secure IT environment for protecting the confidentiality, integrity and availability of Ecology data and safeguarding information technology resources.
- Administer and support AV/collaboration systems and software.
- Participate in statewide IT projects and work efforts.
Experience for both required and desired qualifications can be gained through various combinations of formal professional employment, educational and volunteer experience. See below for how you may qualify.
Five (5) years’ experience, within the last seven (7) years, in one or more of the following IT disciplines: IT support and consultation, server management, virtualization, server storage, system administration, or converged compute, networking and storage.
Associate’s degree in Computer Science, Information Technology (IT), Science, Technology, Engineering, Mathematics (STEM), or closely related field and three (3) years of experience as listed above
Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science, Information Technology (IT), Science, Technology, Engineering, Mathematics (STEM), or closely related field and one (1) year of experience as listed above.
*Completion of MCSE, Server+, or related certifications will qualify for one (1) year of required experience above.
Working knowledge of remote access technologies. Ability to explain and educate non-IT staff on these concepts.
Working knowledge of network protocols (e.g. Transmission Control Protocol/Internet Protocol (TCP/IP), Dynamic Host Configuration Protocol (DHCP), and skill in diagnosing connectivity problems. Ability to explain and collaborate with IT staff on these concepts.
Ability to interpret business requirements and translate them into technical solutions.
Working knowledge of directory services (i.e. Active Directory) and Domain Name Services (DNS), and skill in diagnosing connectivity problems.
All experience and education combinations that meet the requirements for this position:
We highly encourage you to apply even if you do not have some (or all) of the desired experience below.
- Advanced knowledge of basic physical computer components and architectures, including the functions of various components and peripherals (e.g. central processing units (CPUs), network interface cards (NICs), data storage, multi-function print devices (MFPs). Ability mentor IT staff in supporting these devices.
- Four years of experience planning, configuring, implementing, and maintaining Windows Servers.
- Ability to accurately diagnose and solve complex problems with multiple possible causes such as multi-server problems, transmission problems, etc. Ability to foster diagnostic and problem solving skills in other IT staff.
- Ability to troubleshoot and resolve server problems, network transmission problems, etc.
- Ability to facilitate groups and lead work efforts.
Note: Having some (or all) of this desired experience may make your application more competitive in a highly competitive applicant pool.
Ecology seeks diverse applicants: We view diversity, equity, inclusion, and respect through a broad lens including race, ethnicity, class, age, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity, immigration status, military background, language, education, life experience, physical disability, neurodiversity, and intersectional identities. Qualified candidates from all backgrounds are encouraged to apply.
Need an Accommodation in the application and/or screening process or this job announcement in an alternative format?
- Please call: (360) 407-6186 or email: firstname.lastname@example.org and we will be happy to assist.
- If you are deaf or hard of hearing you can reach the Washington Relay Service by dialing 7-1-1 or 1-800-833-6388.
- If you need assistance applying for this job, please e-mail email@example.com. Please do not send an email to this address to follow-up on the status of your application. You can view the latest status of your application on your profile's main page.
- If you are reading this announcement in print format, please enter the following URL to your search engine to apply: https://ecology.wa.gov/About-us/Get-to-know-us/Jobs-at-Ecology.
It's in the applicant's best interest to submit all of the documents listed below. Applications without these documents may be declined.
- A cover letter describing why you are interested in this position.
- A resume outlining your experience and education (if applicable) as it relates to the minimum qualifications of this position.
- Three professional references.
Please do NOT include your salary history. Wage/salary depends on qualifications or rules of promotion, if applicable.
For Your Privacy:
When attaching documents to your application (such as Resume, Cover Letter, Transcripts, DD-214, etc.):
- Please be sure to remove private information such as your social security number, date of birth, etc.
- Do not attach documents that are password-protected, as these documents may not be reviewed and may cause errors within your application when downloaded.
Additional Application Instructions for Current Ecology Employees:
Please make sure to answer the agency-wide questions regarding permanent status as a classified employee within the Washington General Service or Washington Management Service. Do not forget to select Department of Ecology as a response to question 2, and type your personnel ID number for question 3. If you are not sure of your status or do not know your personnel ID number, please contact Human Resources.
The act of submitting application materials electronically is considered affirmation that the information is complete and truthful. The state may verify this information and any untruthful or misleading answers are cause for rejection of your application or dismissal if employed.
If you have specific questions about the position, please email David Laws at: David.firstname.lastname@example.org. Please do not contact David to inquire about the status of your application.
To request the full position description: email email@example.com
Why work for Ecology?
As an agency, our mission is to protect, preserve and enhance Washington's environment for current and future generations. We invest in our employees to create and sustain a working environment that encourages creative leadership, effective resource management, teamwork, professionalism, and accountability.
Joining Ecology means becoming a part of a team committed to protecting and restoring Washington State's environment. A career in public service allows you to help solve some of the most challenging problems facing our state, while keeping your health and financial security a priority. We combine one of the most competitive benefits packages in the nation with a strong commitment to life/work balance.
Ecology employees may be eligible for the following:
Medical/Dental/Vision for employee & dependent(s), Public Employees Retirement System (PERS), Vacation, Sick, and other Leave*, 11 Paid Holidays per year*, Public Service Loan Forgiveness, Tuition Waiver, Long Term Disability & Life Insurance, Deferred Compensation Programs, Dependent Care Assistance Program (DCAP), Flexible Spending Arrangement (FSA), Employee Assistance Program, Commute Trip Reduction Incentives (Download PDF reader), Combined Fund Drive, SmartHealth *See the Benefits tab in this announcement for more information
Student debt: how working for Ecology can help
The Department of Ecology is a qualifying employer for the Public Service Forgiveness Program (PSLF). See https://studentaid.ed.gov/sa/repay-loans/forgiveness-cancellation/public-service for more details.
To learn more about The Department of Ecology, please visit our website at www.ecology.wa.gov and follow, like or visit us on LinkedIn, Twitter, Facebook, Instagram or our blog.
Collective Bargaining: This is a position covered by a bargaining unit for which the Washington Federation of State Employees (WFSE) is the exclusive representative.
Equal Opportunity Employer: The Washington State Department of Ecology is an equal opportunity employer. We strive to create a working environment that includes and respects cultural, racial, ethnic, sexual orientation and gender identity diversity. Women, racial and ethnic minorities, persons of disability, persons over 40 years of age, veterans, military spouses or people with military status, and people of all sexual orientations and gender identities are encouraged to apply. Persons needing accommodation in the application/testing process or this job announcement in an alternative format may call (360) 407-6186. Applicants who are deaf or hard of hearing may call the Washington Relay Service by dialing 7-1-1 or 1-800-833-6388.
Note: This recruitment may be used to fill other positions of the same job classification across the agency. Once all the position(s) from the recruitment announcement are filled, the recruitment may only be used to fill additional open positions for the next sixty (60) days.