Engineering Signal Manager / Operations Management Training (OMT) Program
This posting is for our next Operations Management Training (OMT) Program class for the Engineering Signal Manager position that will start on September 12th, 2022.
As an Engineering Signal Manager in the Operations Management Training (OMT) program, you will gain experience in transportation and engineering operations and the skills to lead a team!
Engineering OMT's have approximately 19 weeks of on-the-job training combined with formal classroom instruction.
Once training is complete, you will be assigned to a work location where you will direct the safe building and maintenance of signals and electrical systems.
- Starting salary: $79,000*
- End of Core Training: $3,500 increase**
- At 12 months: $2,000 increase**
- At assignment: $95,600*
*Based on skills and experience. Assignment made upon completion of the training program. **Salary increase may vary based on performance, training, and assignment schedule.
- Lead inspection, maintenance and repair of Union Pacific's (UP's) signal infrastructure
- Coordinate engineering activities with transportation operations
- Execute action plans to achieve cost of quality business objectives and standardize processes
- Supervise workforce levels to ensure jobs are covered and implement corrective action plans as needed
- Observe engineering crews for safety and operational compliance and complete incident reports when necessary
- Conduct regular employee performance evaluations
- Perform other duties as assigned
- GPA of 2.8 or higher
- Advanced analytical skills
- Valid driver's license
- Advanced problem solving skills
- Experience reading and understanding instructions (examples may include: operating and safety rules, bulletins, special instructions, and federal regulatory documents)
- A Bachelor's degree or will have a Bachelor's degree by August 2022
- Proficient verbal and written communication skills to deliver information to coworker(s) and supervisor(s)
- A Bachelor of Science degree in Electrical Engineering, Electronic Technology, Mechanical Engineering or Computer Engineering
- Experience in an operations or safety sensitive position such as industrial operations, heavy machinery, transportation, manufacturing, railroad, farming, or military
- Experience working outdoors in variable weather conditions (consider professional, personal, and volunteer experience)
- Working experience with any public agencies
- At least one year experience in a leadership role
- Must have normal color vision
- Must be able to detect and interpret different visual color signals and displays, and identify and determine the speed of moving objects at near or far distances
- 18 years of age or older
- In the past 36 months, and in connection with the operating of a motor vehicle, you must not have had any of the following: (1) the suspension, revocation, cancellation, or denial of your driver's license in an incident involving drugs or alcohol; (2) your participation in diversion or probation, or a guilty plea, in a drug or alcohol-related driving incident; OR (3) you refused to take a drug or alcohol test
- Must not have interviewed for this position within the last 2 years
- Benefit information can be found under the Benefits section on up.jobs (https://up.jobs/why/benefits/index.htm)
- Authorized to work in the United States without company sponsorship
- Willingness to practice safe work habits
- Agree to wear personal protective equipment such as safety glasses, safety boots, hard hats, and hearing protection where the company requires
- Must be willing to relocate
- Work Conditions: Job assignments will include working 12 hour shifts, nights, weekends, holidays and working on call