Facilities Project Engineer
This position provides project management and engineering support for infrastructure initiatives at Saint-Gobain’s flagship R&D center in North America. Under the direction of the Facilities Engineering Group Leader, the incumbent will lead or assist with all aspects of infrastructure, new construction and renovation projects from conception to completion. The individual in this role creates positive interaction between Facilities and SGR North America community stakeholders by ensuring that customer needs are met on time, within budget, by following all company, local, state and federal rules and behaving in a professional manner. The candidate also participates in preventative maintenance, operational, environmental health and safety (EHS) and SGR North America community initiatives as required.
This position is part of the Facilities segment of the Facilities and Information Research (FIS) team and works under minimal supervision. The environment is fast-paced and it encounters multiple and frequent changes. The incumbent must manage multiple projects concurrently using a variety of software applications like AutoCAD and communicate through multiple platforms including MS Office products (Excel, Outlook, PowerPoint, Project, Word).
The ideal prospect is an experienced Facilities Engineer with a demonstrated understanding of complex industrial/technical operations (preferably a laboratory or R&D environment). Knowledge of the following is necessary to be successful in this role: Architectural, mechanical, electrical and piping engineering design and drawings; Building Information Modeling (BIM); Building codes; Fire/life safety detection and suppression systems; Safety and environmental management best practices and procedures applicable to facility projects; Renovations and construction projects.
The candidate must be comfortable in a fast-paced environment with multiple and frequent changes and display good energy, solid organizational skills, and flexibility. It is important that the applicant demonstrate attention to detail and the ability to balance priorities to meet customer needs. Professional demeanor, strong communications skills, and the ability to work with minimal supervision are a must. Good computer skills, AutoCAD and advanced proficiency using MS Office products (Excel, Outlook, PowerPoint, Project, Word) are required. All work must be conducted in a safe manner according to OSHA and internal guidelines, promoting a culture of safety in all aspects of job performance.
In this role, the incumbent will have the following key responsibilities:
- Develop project scope of work (SOW) to discuss with internal customers
- Collaborate with architects, engineers, consultants and contractors to establish plans
- Generate and submit request for proposals (RFP) to consultants and contractors to develop budgets and schedules
- Create and manage capital expenditure (CAPEX) documents to secure funding
- Procure products and services that provide innovative and cost-effective solutions
- Partner with Environmental Health and Safety (EHS) to establish compliance with all regulatory requirements
- Oversee the trades and review their invoices to ensure jobs are completed as agreed; in observance of all company, local, state and federal rules and guidelines; and in a fiscally responsible manner
- Document and communicate progress back to management and customers using appropriate tools (spreadsheets, Gantt charts, etc.)
- Supervise routine and non-routine facility maintenance and repair including the grounds, HVAC systems, plumbing, mechanical, and electrical systems, elevators, and the structural aspects of buildings in a backup capacity
- Participate in environmental health and safety (EHS) and SGR North America community initiatives as required.
- BS Degree with a minimum of 3+ years’ experience or Master’s Degree (with thesis) with demonstrated technical judgement/accomplishments, project leadership, team collaboration, and oral and written communication skills.
- Familiarity with building, fire, life safety codes and facility environmental regulations.
- Experience with Facilities systems such as HVAC, electrical, plumbing, fire suppression.
- Project Management Professional (PMP)
- OSHA 10
Saint-Gobain Research (SGR) North America is one of Saint-Gobain’s largest industrial research laboratories. The center is home to more than 400 employees working at the leading edge of innovation on multidisciplinary industrial research, preparing the future by designing tomorrow's products and processes across an amazing variety of markets and technical disciplines. Since 1985, SGR North America has been supporting existing businesses, developing future businesses, and nurturing talent.
Saint-Gobain designs, manufactures and distributes materials and solutions which are key ingredients in the wellbeing of each of us and the future of all. They can be found everywhere in our living places and our daily life: in buildings, transportation, infrastructure and in many industrial applications. They provide comfort, performance and safety while addressing the challenges of sustainable construction, resource efficiency and climate change.
Saint-Gobain provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, disability, genetic information, marital status, amnesty, or status as a covered veteran in accordance with applicable federal, state and local laws. Saint-Gobain is an equal opportunity employer of individuals with disabilities and supports the hiring of veterans.