Job Posting Title:
DevOps Engineer, Data to Insights Initiative
IQ - Information Quest
Position Open To:
Weekly Scheduled Hours:
Earliest Start Date:
Expected to Continue Until Dec 31, 2025
The Data to Insights (D2I) Initiative at UT Austin is an investment to build a trusted, integrated, and scalable information infrastructure that transforms complex UT data into valued insights for data-informed decisions.
As a team member in the Data to Insights (D2I) Initiative, you will work with a cross-campus team using the latest cloud technologies to build a next-generation data ecosystem that will improve decision-making and advance the university’s mission. We believe the best ideas arise from collaborative work among colleagues from varied backgrounds and experiences. We actively seek diversity of viewpoint and perception in our student, faculty, and staff recruiting and retention practices.If you’re the type of person who loves to learn and wants to know your work has meaning, you may find your career home at UT Austin. Please note that this position is currently funded until December 31, 2025.
The University of Texas at Austin provides an outstanding benefits package to staff, including:
- Competitive health benefits (Employee premiums covered at 100%; family premiums at 50%)
- Vision, dental, life, and disability insurance options
- Paid vacation, sick leave, and holidays
- Teachers Retirement System of Texas (a defined benefit retirement plan)
- Additional voluntary retirement programs: tax sheltered annuity 403(b) and a deferred compensation program 457(b)
- Flexible spending account options for medical and childcare expenses
- Training and conference opportunities•Tuition assistance•Athletic ticket discounts
- Access to UT Austin's libraries and museums•Free rides on all UT Shuttle and Capital Metro buses with staff ID card
For more details, please see: https://hr.utexas.edu/prospective/benefits and https://hr.utexas.edu/current/services/my-total-rewards
This position requires you to maintain internet service and a mobile phone with voice and data plans to be used when required for work. This position provides life/work balance with typically a 40-hour work week and travel generally limited to training (e.g., conferences/courses).
The DevOps Engineer for the UT Data Hub improves university outcomes and advances the UT mission to transform lives for the benefit of society by increasing the usability and value of institutional data. The DevOps Engineer builds and maintains cloud infrastructure and automates IT processes for the UT data ecosystem. The DevOps Engineer provides system and application administration and devises optimal system configurations to meet university needs for high-performance data systems and ensures compliance with UT information security requirements. The DevOps Engineer leverages their creativity to solve complex problems and build effective relationships through open communication.
- Build and maintain cloud infrastructure in support of the UT data ecosystem.
- Ensure compliance with UT Information Security Office policies and industry best practices for cloud security.
- Design, develop, and document processes to support cloud computing infrastructure and application deployments.
- Support, monitor and optimize cloud-based and on-premise applications to ensure continuous service delivery.
- Manage on-prem and cloud identity and account systems.
Automation & CI/CD:
- Collaborate with team members to automate validation functions and monitor performance of data processes.
- Work closely with data engineers to design and implement continuous integration and continuous delivery pipelines.
- Provide Windows and Linux system administration
- Configure and maintain (including patching) legacy Business Intelligence servers such as Cognos, Tableau.
- Participate in change management processes to coordinate and communicate systems administration activity.
- Communicate status of activities and findings through verbal, written, and/or visual reporting
- Other related functions as assigned
BS degree in Computer Science, Information Systems, Engineering, or equivalent professional experience. One year of DevOps Engineering experience with Amazon Web Services. Three years of professional experience in Windows and Linux system administration. Demonstrated experience with implementing Infrastructure as Code (IaC) and automation of cloud-based workloads. Proficiency in one or more scripting languages and/or programming languages, preferably Python. Demonstrated experience of developing and implementing Continuous Integration and Continuous Delivery (CI/CD) systems. Proficiency in systems analysis, design, and a solid grasp of development, quality assurance, and integration methodologies. Experience of designing, developing, and implementing automated data validation. Strong aptitude for troubleshooting and problem solving. Team player, comfortable communicating cross-functionally and across management levels. Self-motivated and able to organize work independently in a rapidly changing environment.
Relevant education and experience may be substituted as appropriate.
Bachelor’s degree with five years experience with implementing Infrastructure as Code (IaC) and automation of cloud-based workloads. Three years experience working in a cloud-based data warehouse environment. Three years of DevOps Engineering experience with Amazon Web Services. Experience with implementing and maintaining infrastructure to support all aspects of the software development cycle (SDLC). Demonstrated experience building scalable infrastructure using AWS CloudFormation. AWS DevOps certification. Strong knowledge of Quality Assurance processes, test case development and execution. Knowledge of Agile software development methodologies (Kanban, Scrum). Experience with issue tracking systems (JIRA).
$101,538 + depending on qualifications
- May work around standard office conditions
- Repetitive use of a keyboard at a workstation
- Use of manual dexterity
- Location up to 100% remote at employee discretion with office work environment also an option. Majority of team is located in Austin, TX, and working remotely with infrequent in-office presence.
- 3 work references with their contact information; at least one reference should be from a supervisor
- Letter of interest
Important for applicants who are NOT current university employees or contingent workers: You will be prompted to submit your resume the first time you apply, then you will be provided an option to upload a new Resume for subsequent applications. Any additional Required Materials (letter of interest, references, etc.) will be uploaded in the Application Questions section; you will be able to multi-select additional files. Before submitting your online job application, ensure that ALL Required Materials have been uploaded. Once your job application has been submitted, you cannot make changes.
Important for Current university employees and contingent workers: As a current university employee or contingent worker, you MUST apply within Workday by searching for Find UT Jobs. If you are a current University employee, log-in to Workday, navigate to your Worker Profile, click the Career link in the left hand navigation menu and then update the sections in your Professional Profile before you apply. This information will be pulled in to your application. The application is one page and you will be prompted to upload your resume. In addition, you must respond to the application questions presented to upload any additional Required Materials (letter of interest, references, etc.) that were noted above.
Regular staff who have been employed in their current position for the last six continuous months are eligible for openings being recruited for through University-Wide or Open Recruiting, to include both promotional opportunities and lateral transfers. Staff who are promotion/transfer eligible may apply for positions without supervisor approval.
Retirement Plan Eligibility:
The retirement plan for this position is Teacher Retirement System of Texas (TRS), subject to the position being at least 20 hours per week and at least 135 days in length.
A criminal history background check will be required for finalist(s) under consideration for this position.
Equal Opportunity Employer:
The University of Texas at Austin, as an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer, complies with all applicable federal and state laws regarding nondiscrimination and affirmative action. The University is committed to a policy of equal opportunity for all persons and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, age, marital status, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, disability, religion, or veteran status in employment, educational programs and activities, and admissions.
The University of Texas at Austin will not discharge or in any other manner discriminate against employees or applicants because they have inquired about, discussed, or disclosed their own pay or the pay of another employee or applicant. However, employees who have access to the compensation information of other employees or applicants as a part of their essential job functions cannot disclose the pay of other employees or applicants to individuals who do not otherwise have access to compensation information, unless the disclosure is (a) in response to a formal complaint or charge, (b) in furtherance of an investigation, proceeding, hearing, or action, including an investigation conducted by the employer, or (c) consistent with the contractor’s legal duty to furnish information.
Employment Eligibility Verification:
If hired, you will be required to complete the federal Employment Eligibility Verification I-9 form. You will be required to present acceptable and original documents to prove your identity and authorization to work in the United States. Documents need to be presented no later than the third day of employment. Failure to do so will result in loss of employment at the university.
The University of Texas at Austin use E-Verify to check the work authorization of all new hires effective May 2015. The university’s company ID number for purposes of E-Verify is 854197. For more information about E-Verify, please see the following:
- E-Verify Poster (English) [PDF]
- E-Verify Poster (Spanish) [PDF]
- Right To Work Poster (English) [PDF]
- Right To Work Poster (Spanish) [PDF]
Employees may be required to report violations of law under Title IX and the Jeanne Clery Disclosure of Campus Security Policy and Crime Statistics Act (Clery Act). If this position is identified a Campus Security Authority (Clery Act), you will be notified and provided resources for reporting. Responsible employees under Title IX are defined and outlined in HOP-3031.
The Clery Act requires all prospective employees be notified of the availability of the Annual Security and Fire Safety report. You may access the 2021 report here or obtain a copy at University Compliance Services, 1616 Guadalupe, Suite UTA 2.206, Austin, TX 78701.