Position Title: Data Engineer
Reports to: Manager of Data Engineering
The Solar Energy Industries Association (SEIA) is the national trade association of the solar energy industry representing nearly 1,000 companies from around the world. Our mission is to build a strong solar industry to power America. We achieve that aim by supporting pro-solar policy at the federal and state level, developing cutting-edge industry research, and speaking as the voice of the solar industry to press and public.
At SEIA, our staff arrives every morning knowing that their work improves our country's energy independence, empowers our member businesses and strengthens our economy through the creation of more than 230,000 U.S. jobs. Combining a strong sense of purpose and a great work environment has resulted in SEIA being selected as one of the “Best Non-Profits” to work for in America in 2022.
The Data Engineer is responsible for data collection, processing, and reporting. The position reports to the Manager of Data Engineering within SEIA’s Research team.
The ideal candidate will have the ability to apply technical skills in programming, data storage and retrieval, and project status reporting to a fast-paced energy research and analysis shop. They will be a creative self-starter, responsible for harvesting requested data, transforming data, and programming workflow automations. In addition, the Data Engineer must be able to maintain high levels of quality assurance while managing a diverse workload interspersed with urgent requests. The preferred candidate will have a strong interest in renewable energy and policy and will also be comfortable collaborating with remote colleagues.
CORE DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES
- Write and update data collection, data cleaning, and data export scripts
- Execute data scraping requests and routines
- Develop data collection protocols for new sources
- Merge and reconcile data from multiple sources into centralized databases. Design and implement quality control strategies.
- Prepare large datasets and subsets for analysis. In coordination with the Research Department, provide quantitative, written, and visual summary analysis.
- Work across departments to design and build both print and web-enabled data visualizations across multiple platforms, including geospatial and graphical.
- Collaborate with external organizations on joint data collection and analysis efforts.
- Review relevant industry reports. Maintain working knowledge of solar industry news and trends.
PROFESSIONAL EXPERIENCE, EDUCATION AND OTHER QUALIFICATIONS
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science, Computer Engineering, Data Sciences or other related discipline, or commensurate skills gained through professional experience and certificate programs
- 1 -2 years experience or applicable internship experience utilizing programming skills is preferable
- Thorough/working knowledge of the following:
- Python for data collection, web scraping, analysis, and manipulation
- Experience with web scraping tools such as Selenium, BeautifulSoup, Scrapy, etc.,
- and extracting data from sources including Web, PDF, and spreadsheets
- SQL and/or NoSQL to conduct complex database queries and geospatial joining
- ArcGIS and/or QGIS a plus
- Experience with Salesforce a plus
- Preference for candidates with experience or interest in energy markets, energy policy, and relevant data sources
- Detail-oriented with ability to quality check large datasets and integrate non–engineering techniques and solutions, as appropriate
- Motivated self-starter who can excel in a small team
- Ability to independently manage workload, prioritize competing tasks and respond to urgent requests
- Ability to communicate and collaborate effectively across remote work environments
This position is available as a remote position anywhere in the United States or in SEIA’s offices in Washington, DC. Occasional travel to Washington, DC required if remote.
$58,000 - $68,000 annually, based on experience and excellent benefits package
Please submit a cover letter, resume, and salary requirement to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject “2022 Data Engineer.” Submissions that are in the form of a single Word or PDF document facilitate review and are preferred.
Please name all files using the following format: "[name]_[document title]_SEIA." No calls please; direct applicants only, no search or placement firms.
Working at SEIA
SEIA values diversity, inclusion and equity within our organization and the promotion of these values across the solar industry. We strive to welcome different perspectives, identities, and backgrounds, regardless of job function in order to create a more resilient organization that supports a strong, equitable solar industry. SEIA envisions an industry that is committed to fostering a culture of inclusivity. We aim to achieve this by encouraging openness and transparency about diversity issues and progress. We will develop strategies, programs, and tools that seek to equalize opportunities within SEIA and allow for discussing and sharing best practices within the solar industry.
SEIA provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability or genetics. In addition to federal law requirements, SEIA complies with applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment in every location in which we employ staff. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.