Scientist Intern - Research & Development
Who We Are
We have 3 core philosophies that make up what we call the Manhattan Spirit. These philosophies call on each of us to Focus on the Customer, Seize Every Opportunity, and Never Settle. With these concepts as guides, we have become the most sought-after commerce supply chain solution for companies all over the globe. Our supply chain commerce technology positively affects how people on six continents work, shop and live. As a 14x Gartner #WMS and 4x Gartner #TMS Magic Quadrant Leader, and the sole Leader in the 2022 Forrester #OMS Wave, Manhattan Associates is the only global technology provider to earn such recognition and incredible distinction … and we’re not done! We continuously endeavor to strengthen our leadership position & evolve our best in-class solution capabilities through extensive R&D of innovative, feature rich, science and optimization empowered cloud-native solutions. So, if you thrive on tackling complex problems, while pushing limits and redefining what’s possible, you’ve come to the right place!
Where You Will Work
Manhattan Interns spend 12 weeks (Summer) or 17 weeks (Spring/Fall) at our global headquarters in Atlanta, GA. Interns will be exposed to a number of technologies and methodologies while gaining hands–on experience thru numerous opportunities to apply and develop their knowledge and skills. You will be part of a specialized team within our global R&D organization that focuses on the enablement of science and optimization across our industry leading supply chain solutions. Our R&D team is the heart and soul of Manhattan Associates’ product portfolio. We innovate and design the future of our products, positioning them ahead of the curve technically, operationally, and scientifically over our competitors. You will have the opportunity to learn and interact with people from a variety of backgrounds and skill sets to grow and enhance your functional, technical, and science knowledge while researching and working on real domain use cases.
What Will You Do
· Given the timeframe and the nature of the work, Scientist Interns will typically focus on one core project for the given term, but often with some secondary but less involved side projects. Interns are integrated quickly into a team environment, assigned a mentor, and provided training as necessary
· Collaborate with your mentor and/or with staff scientists to research, prototype, experiment, and benchmark/validate new or enhanced algorithmic methods, optimization techniques, and/or solution approaches
· Model complex systems within the context of Supply Chain Management, such as supply/demand chain forecasting & planning, transportation planning and execution, warehouse & distribution management systems, order management systems, allocation & replenishment, and/or inventory management systems
· Collaborate with your mentor and/or with staff scientists to collect and analyze business requirements – and then translate them into appropriate and detailed algorithmic and scientific solution designs
· Conduct qualitative and quantitative analyses of complex operational and management problems using techniques such as (but not limited to): advanced analytics, mathematical modeling, mathematical programming, meta-heuristics, network analysis, data mining, predictive modeling, machine learning and/or simulation.
What You Need (Minimum Requirements)
· Be within 12 to 18 months of graduating with a PhD in operations research, computer science, industrial engineering or a related technical field specializing in Supply/Demand Chain Planning and Forecasting, Transportation, Warehouse Management, Order Management, and/or Inventory Management. Research experience in multiple areas is highly preferred
· Solid working knowledge & research experience applying optimization, algorithmic modeling, mathematical programming, heuristics/meta-heuristics, statistics, and/or simulation
· Working knowledge / experience with Cplex (et al), Matlab (et al), leading statistical packages
· Working knowledge in Java and/or C/C++, Python (or similar scripting language), and SQL
· Good communication skills, strong analytical and problem-solving skills
· Ideally be able to work in Atlanta within a hybrid work model