Connecticut Careers Trainee (Target Class: Siting Analyst 1)
Are you a recent graduate with a passion for analysis in economic and environmental issues?
If so, we have a fantastic opportunity for you!
The Connecticut Siting Council (CSC) has an exciting position available to join our team as a Connecticut Careers Trainee with a target class of Siting Analyst 1. This position will be located in New Britain, CT.
The CSC is responsible for:
- balancing the need for adequate and reliable public utility services at the lowest reasonable cost to consumers with the need to protect the environment and ecology of the state and to minimize damage to scenic, historic, and recreational values;
- providing environmental standards for the location, design, construction, and operation of public utility facilities that are at least as stringent as federal environmental standards and that are sufficient to assure the welfare and protection of the people of CT;
- encouraging research to develop new and improved methods of generating, storing, and transmitting electricity and fuel and of transmitting and receiving television and telecommunications signals with minimal damage to the environment;
- promoting the sharing of telecommunications towers in order to avoid their unnecessary proliferation;
- requiring annual forecasts of the demand for electricity together with the planning for facilities needed to supply the predicted demand.
This position will work first shift, 35 hours per week, on a Monday to Friday schedule with the telework available.
In this role, you will have the opportunity to:
- Process requests for the sharing of towers and modifications/upgrades to existing facilities;
- Analyze costs, public need and environmental impact of proposed energy and telecommunications facility construction, operation and maintenance;
- Maintain the statewide database of telecommunications facilities;
- Update the Statewide Telecommunications plan;
- Draft reports and other facility-related documents.
What we can offer you:
State of Connecticut employees participate in a competitive benefits plan that includes:
- Excellent health and dental coverage;
- A generous retirement plan;
- Paid time off;
- A healthy work - life balance!
EXAMPLES OF DUTIES
In a department or institution receives training in introductory governmental work for development of skills and knowledge in field of public administration in order to qualify for advancement into agency professional positions; performs a variety of increasingly difficult duties as skills are acquired during course of training period; performs related duties as required.
Possession of a Bachelor's or Master's degree.
- If the target job classification has a Substitution Allowed that requires the Bachelor's or Master's degree to be in a specific area(s), then these specific degree areas are required for appointment to the Connecticut Career Trainee classification.
- Candidates cannot be appointed until all degree requirements are complete.
The preferred candidate will possess:
- A Bachelor's or Master's degree in Biology, Earth Science, Engineering, Natural Resource Management, Physical Science, Land Use Planning or a related degree.
- Experience or coursework interpreting technical reports, data and material related to energy, telecommunications and hazardous waste facility siting;
- Experience with virtual meetings via Microsoft Teams, Zoom or a similar platform;
- Experience or coursework in Statewide Telecommunications;
- Experience working in a database;
- Experience creating reports and business communications in Microsoft Word;
- Experience creating reports in Microsoft Excel.