Programme Analyst, SURGE Delivery Lab (Crisis Response and Recovery Operations)
Instructions to Applicants: Click on the "Apply now" button. Input your information in the appropriate Sections: personal information, language proficiency, education, resume and motivation. Upon completion of the first page, please hit "submit application" tab at the end of the page. Please ensure that CV or P11 and the Cover letter are combined in one file.
The following documents shall be required from the applicants:
Personal CV or P11, indicating all past positions held and their main underlying functions, their durations (month/year), the qualifications, as well as the contact details (email and telephone number) of the Candidate, and at least three (3) the most recent professional references of previous supervisors. References may also include peers.
A cover letter (maximum length: 1 page) indicating why the candidate considers him-/herself to be suitable for the position.
Managers may ask (ad hoc) for any other materials relevant to pre-assessing the relevance of their experience, such as reports, presentations, publications, campaigns or other materials.
The world is changing fast, and so is UNDP. Governments and donors continuously demand new and innovative policies and programmes from UNDP, and the post COVID-19 world requires a new set of operational policies and approaches to accompany those. Even though UNDP has lived up to these high expectations and the organizational and resource delivery remains on the rise, new and smart approaches to delivery will continuously need to be discovered, experimented with, codified and disseminated. In crisis settings, accounting for more than half of UNDP’s resource delivery, the pursuit for UNDP to be fast, effective, efficient and cutting edge will need to be even more relentless. The Crisis Bureau in consultation with BMS established the SURGE Delivery Lab in 2020 to boost UNDP’s work in such challenging circumstances.
The SURGE Delivery Lab is responsible for providing short term support to country offices to accelerate delivery and provide solutions to operational bottlenecks. The Lab is activated in consultation with Regional Bureaus in country offices where it is deemed that the Lab’s interventions would provide immediate and time-bound results.
The key goals of the Lab include:
- Analysis of current operations capacities and processes.
- Identification of delivery, operational and procedural challenges.
- Solution mapping and implementation through innovation and experimentation.
- Ensuring that the engagements can offer sustainable delivery solutions.
The Lab Coordination Unit is the component of the Lab that manages its operation and ensures the seamless running of the Lab. The Unit is responsible for engaging the Lab in consultation with the Regional Bureaus: activating Country Offices, embedding Operations Advisors, activating the Solutions Network, and facilitating Lab analysis, experimentation, and solutions mapping. Furthermore, one of the main roles of the Unit is to ensure smooth collaboration and coordination among the Lab Networks, the Country Offices, the Lab Advisory Board, the Lab Technical Guidance Group, and all SURGE Delivery Lab partners. The Lab Coordination Unit is led by the SURGE Delivery Lab Manager.
The Programme Analyst will work within the Lab Coordination Unit and will report to the SURGE Delivery Lab Manager. The Programme Analyst is responsible for the smooth functioning of the SURGE Delivery Lab and for ensuring the Lab’s interventions in its country office engagements are carried out successfully. The analyst will work closely with Lab consultants to perform analysis, identify operational bottlenecks and support the implementation of solutions.
The Programme Analyst will work under the direct supervision of the SURGE Delivery Lab Manager.
Duties and Responsibilities
Scope of Work
1) Coordinate the implementation of the Lab’s strategies in its Country Office Engagements
- Support the drafting and finalization of SURGE Delivery Lab Engagement Frameworks outlining the Lab’s engagement with each country office, in collaboration with country office senior management, SURGE Delivery Lab Manager, and the respective Operations Advisor.
- Work with country office teams to identify actionable areas, identify deliverables and experts necessary for implementation.
- Support the Lab’s Operations Advisor conduct analysis of CO delivery and operations capacities. Identify bottlenecks and challenges and ascertain delivery acceleration opportunities.
- Support the SURGE Delivery Lab Manager pitch the Lab concept to potential clients, UNDP Country Directors, and senior management.
- Coordinate and convene meetings between the SURGE Delivery Lab and Country office management; draft minutes for all meetings to share with participants.
- Write up SURGE Delivery Lab strategies, and articulate identified bottlenecks and challenges in engaged country offices to share with CO and Crisis Bureau management.
- Capture and communicate opportunities for experimentation and innovative solutions workshopped by the SURGE Delivery Lab team.
- Write up formal updates on each of the CO engagements and the status of Lab activities there.
2) Manage SURGE Delivery Lab day-to-day activities
- Draft and finalize terms of references for required Lab activities, outlining specific deliverables and crisis contexts.
- Manage engagement and contracting of Lab consultants. Identify relevant expertise from the GPN ExpRes Roster and manage end-to-end recruitment processes.
- Coordinate Lab consultants and monitor progress of Lab activities in each country office engagement.
- Document progress of all Lab activities on the Lab’s SharePoint site; track successes and challenges faced during each CO engagement. Ensure Lab consultants (Operations Advisors and Solutions Network consultants) record data, analysis, and any solutions implemented.
- Coordinate with Lab Operations Advisors and help to expedite processes as necessary to speed up implementation of Lab interventions.
- Ensure Country Support Management Team Regional Teams are kept abreast of Lab initiatives and interventions in their respective regions.
- Facilitate payments made to Lab consultants.
- Report to the SURGE Delivery Lab Manager and carry out ad-hoc requests as required.
3) Research and Analysis
- Perform research and analysis as necessary, and draft reports on various Crisis Bureau initiatives.
- Support consultants execute their strategies and contribute to the successful outcome of each of the Lab’s engagements
- Create and draft business processes and standard operating procedures using Microsoft Visio, to enhance key functions and processes in country offices and increase efficiency.
- Support Lab consultants in writing up reports, strategies and other communications.
- Collaborate with the Lab’s Communications Analysts to effectively present and document research and analysis undertaken.
4) Reporting and Communications
- Write and share reports on the Lab’s progress in its country offices: write the Lab’s quarterly and annual updates which are shared with the Lab’s governance board.
- Create content and provide updates via Microsoft Teams for various UNDP audiences.
- Ensure the SURGE Delivery Lab SharePoint site is kept up-to-date, including the interactive map, the country engagement progress tracker, the solutions network and any highlighted features.
- Support the SURGE Delivery Lab Manager with presentations and reports to Crisis Bureau and GPN senior management.
LEVEL 1: Plans and monitors own work, pays attention to details, delivers quality work by deadline
LEVEL 1: Open to creative ideas/known risks, is pragmatic problem solver, makes improvements
LEVEL 1: Open minded and curious, shares knowledge, learns from mistakes, asks for feedback
Adapt with Agility:
LEVEL 1: Adapts to change, constructively handles ambiguity/uncertainty, is flexible
Act with Determination:
LEVEL 1: Shows drive and motivation, able to deliver calmly in face of adversity, confident
Engage and Partner:
LEVEL 1: Demonstrates compassion/understanding towards others, forms positive relationships
Enable Diversity and Inclusion:
LEVEL 1: Appreciate/respect differences, aware of unconscious bias, confront discrimination
People Management (Insert below standard sentence if the position has direct reports.)
This position has no direct reports.
Required Skills and Experience
Min. Education requirements
- Master’s Degree in Economics, International Relations, International Development, Public Policy or similar fields or
- Bachelor’s Degree with additional 2 years of experience can be accepted in lieu of Masters Degree.
Min. years of relevant work experience
- Experience in any relevant field with Masters Degree.
- Bacehelors Degree with 2 years of experience in International Development of any other related field;
- Experience in the usage of computers and office software packages (MS Word Excel, etc.) and advanced knowledge of spreadsheets and databases required;
Desired skills in addition to the competencies covered in the Competencies section
- Strong analytical and writing skills required;
- Strong experience in research, research methodology and sampling;
- Knowledge and application of Applications Tracking Software desirable; knowledge and application of Case and Contract Management Software also desirable;
- Project management, and strong IT skills is also an advantage;
- Experience with data and statistical software, e.g. STATA, is also an advantage.
- Proficiency in English both written and oral is required