Owner's Representative | Project Manager
Who we are:
DTSalazar Inc. (DTS) is an Owner's Representation/Project Management firm specializing in the realization of aspirational design and construction projects on behalf of a host of visionary and discerning clients.
Our focus is on ultra-high-end residential and large-scale planning projects and includes a wide range of project types and collaborations with the best and brightest architects, designers, artists, and builders in the industry. We work on a wide array of real estate ventures in all phases, including acquisition, investment, strategic planning, financing, construction, maintenance, operations, and dispositions.
Who you are:
You may be a construction industry professional passionate about executing extraordinary buildings with the highest quality materials for the highest quality end-product. Maybe you're an experienced architect with an impeccable design point of view with a talent for coaching teams to achieve the desired goal. You might also be a talented industrial designer who delights in merging manufacturing with aesthetics and function. Or perhaps you've worked in real estate development on luxury residential or hotel projects. Or maybe you've been working as an Owner's rep. and are hungry to dive deeper into a few long-term and bespoke projects.
Regardless of your background, you are a dynamic, experienced, detail-oriented, driven, unflappable individual whose passion for delivering a client's dream far exceeds any need for their personal acknowledgment. You see this opportunity as a vocation that has no limits and recognize that leadership, in all its varied forms, is a requirement for success.
We are looking for an Owner's Representative with 10+ years of experience in Architecture, Luxury Industrial Design, Construction Management and/or Luxury Real Estate Development / Construction. This role will support our internal team and our clients, who are primarily entrepreneurial principals based in New York, Austin, the San Francisco Bay Area, and Europe, with a potential expansion to other global locations.
The roles, responsibilities, and skill set required to take on the challenges of Owner's Representation as we approach the role are deep and wide-ranging. You must be an expert in the day-to-day technical aspects of the work and have seasoned business and interpersonal skills at your fingertips. Our Owner Reps possess innate, well-honed people skills, a razor-sharp eye for detail, and genuine, deep empathy and respect for their clients and colleagues. As a leader and as part of the team, you aspire never to lose sight of the big picture, fully understanding the contribution made by even the smallest of details. You must be passionate about excellence, be undaunted by ambiguity, thrive on complex problem solving and share our values in prioritizing authenticity, integrity, intelligence, and collaboration.
This role will serve as a liaison between our clients and the rest of the project team – Architecture, Design, Construction, Estate Management, and other functions within the clients' family offices. Our paramount charge is to ensure the realization of our client's vision. We are seeking someone skilled at artfully balancing the disparate project forces of quality, schedule, and budget with the tangible outcome desired by our clients. You will play a pivotal role in achieving that objective by deftly managing the project from design planning through construction and empowering all team members to excel in delivering the project's goals and milestones.
Our Owner Reps also serve as a concierge-like point of contact for select clients and our teams from project inception through operation and spanning the early stages of planning, design, and construction through facility management of the property during occupancy. By extension, this includes understanding and supporting the facility so that estate operations, security, special functions, hospitality, and special initiatives can be successful.
Serving in these capacities, you will know the right questions to ask to convert often stratified information into sound, actionable strategies. You can quickly but thoughtfully organize and synthesize information to hone in on the critical decisions needed to advance the project. The team will look to you for leadership concerning design, value engineering, scope definition, cost estimating audits, general contractor and subcontractor prequalification, schedules, and construction. You demonstrate quiet confidence in managing and choreographing the often-competing aspects of commissioned design projects, whether that is conducting site visits, distilling due diligence assessments, managing the design and construction process, or working towards resolving design-related or operational challenges.
The right candidate will embrace the entrepreneurial nature of building and managing teams (internal/external) as an exciting and dynamic opportunity. You will bring energy, integrity, accuracy, and discipline to this role and enjoy both a fast-paced environment and the focused quiet of strategic planning when not in the field. You will strive to maximize the time and capitalize on the talents and experience of all involved parties: our clients, partners, and collaborators. You demonstrate uncompromising discretion and professionalism and have the availability and desire to travel (likely several weeks a year).
Architecture & Design
- Inspire and direct architecture teams to deliver innovative design solutions that align with the client's vision
- Ensure the architecture team is delivering timely, accurate detailing and drawings to the construction team
- Ensure the project timeline of design decisions is communicated clearly to the entire project team
Pre-Construction & Construction
- Land acquisition, due diligence, project financing
- RFPs and Contract Negotiation
- Manage expeditors to secure building permits
- Ensure construction timelines and changes are communicated clearly and proactively
- Analyze structural, electrical, plumbing, and mechanical aspects of the construction project
- Review and approve change orders
- Consultant coordination and construction site visits
- Effectively manage neighbor relations
- Drive punch list and closeout management
General Project Management
- Manage budget and invoices
- Drive strategic planning and operations management
- Identify potential issues before they arise and work to mitigate risk
- Drive efficient problem-solving and client communication
- Attend weekly owner, architect, and construction meetings
- Assist team in the development and improvement of systems and procedures
- Facilitate and guide solutions to ensure projects are completed as planned
- Generate reports that demonstrate the status of the project against their plan and schedule
- Serve as the main point of contact, receive and transfer information to appropriate parties, and facilitate meetings when necessary.
- You use your rare business agility and strategic reasoning to work effectively in all aspects of project development: Client vision, the analytical and financial rigors of land acquisition, due diligence, risk assessment, and contracts and negotiations
- You have low ego but high confidence
- You possess an entrepreneurial mind-set and the drive to seize project development opportunities and drive them to completion
- You pride yourself on your unfailing integrity
- You are a consummate administrator, managing budget, schedule, and people as a means to achieving a client's vision rather than impediments
- You are an astute communicator and speak, hear, and read in the languages of client, architect, engineer, interior designer, contractor, tradesman, neighbor, and municipal planner
- You are astute, empathic, and calibrate quickly. You can read a room, assess differing agendas and achieve the consensus needed to execute the client's vision
- You possess strong leadership and decision-making skills
- You have a positive attitude and can maintain calm under pressure
- You're not afraid to raise your hand when something doesn't look right
- You are insightful and can discern and flush out critical questions hiding in plain sight from your team
- You like to work independently and are a self-motivated, initiative-driven, and solutions-oriented individual who also appreciates the chance to be mentored
- You enjoy diving deep into the details, but can also analyze the bigger picture
- You are comfortable working on the horizon line between contradiction and reason
- You're a master investigator who leaves no stone unturned when things don't add up
- You're a problem solver with a knack for coming up with creative solutions that aren't obvious
- You have a learner mentality with a passion for acquiring new skills, information, and specialties
- You have an insatiable commitment to problem-solving while making sure that no one is left behind
- You empower people; work strategically and collaboratively to resolve competing agendas within the team to achieve what at the outset may appear unachievable
- You have high emotional intelligence and can collaborate with diverse personalities to build strong, trusting relationships
- You have a fierce commitment to maintaining security, privacy, and respect with all parties. And equally as important, you promote and empower others to do the same
- You know how to instill confidence in others so that they feel both a sense of urgency and responsibility to communicate and escalate when necessary, and you value time as a precious commodity
Key Skill & Qualifications:
- Demonstrated success in managing multiple projects, priorities, and people concurrently in a fast-paced, high-growth, and results-driven environment
- Experience with fast-track design-build construction
- Direct construction management experience
- Demonstrated knowledge and understanding of construction practices and terminology.
- Demonstrated ability to read and understand architectural plans and drawings
- Demonstrated knowledge of construction financials, project budgets, and reporting
- Demonstrated knowledge of a wide variety of construction materials, products, and systems
- Ability to coordinate project design and construction teams with end-users, Environmental Health & Safety, in-house IT, audio visual, security teams, etc
- Experience with real estate financing, project pro formas and underwriting, RFP’s and contract negotiation
- Experience managing and mentoring direct reports
- Excellent, succinct written and oral communication skills, with focus on planning, execution, and follow up
- Strong individual contributor. Self-starter who possesses exceptional time management skills and has great attention to detail
- Highly organized with strong analytical skills and the ability to identify and manage priorities and work effectively under pressure
- Competitive Salary
- Remote Position
- Medical & Dental Benefits
- Additional Benefits & 401k (under development)
- Wellness Stipend
- Paid Time Off (PTO) for personal and sick time
*Compensation commensurate with experience
- Work location: This is a live-off position with bases in the New York, San Francisco Bay Area, and Austin.
- Verifiable references, thorough background check, and online assessment are required of all qualified finalists.
- Equal opportunity employer. We celebrate diversity in an environment that is equitable and inclusive.