22-95 IT Data Services Data Analyst (Data Analyst IV)
Only candidates who apply via email to (HR “at” TWDB.texas.gov) with an official State of Texas Application or through the WorkInTexas.com website will be considered for this position. View this position and apply at https://tinyurl.com/247xppkd.
Texas Water Development Board’s Mission
Leading the state’s efforts in ensuring a secure water future for Texas and its citizens.
The Texas Water Development Board (TWDB) endorses telecommuting and hybrid workplace plans, in addition to other flexible work alternatives. We offer competitive compensation and benefits package including medical, dental, vision, 401(k), flexible spending, and flexible work hours so you can have a work/life balance! For more information about these benefits and more visit: http://www.twdb.texas.gov/jobs/benefits.asp.
The Texas Water Development Board does not discriminate on basis of race, color, national origin, sex, religion, sexual orientation, age, or disability in employment or provision of services, programs, or activities.
*Salary commensurate with experience and qualifications
Job Description Summary
The Texas Water Development Board is a data driven agency with highly motivated and engaged employees. Our agency’s mission is to lead the state’s efforts in ensuring a secure water future for Texas and its citizens. We are currently seeking a talented Data Analyst to join our Data Services Department. The Data Analyst will deliver quality reporting and business intelligence solutions to the agency and assist client teams with drawing insights to make informed, data driven decisions. This individual will perform complex (journey-level) data analysis and data research work and will be engaged in all phases of the data management lifecycle; gather and analyze requirements, research, collect, process, store and secure, use, share and communicate, archive, reuse and repurpose data. May train others. Works under general supervision, with moderate latitude for the use of initiative and independent judgment. Reports to the Manager of the Data Services Department.
Essential Job Functions
- Elicits business requirements for data needs, develop technical specifications and related artifacts review, and monitors system integration and user acceptance testing prior to implementation.
- Identifies data gaps, errors, anomalies, inconsistencies, and redundancies by analyzing the content, structure, and relationships within data.
- Interprets results to identify significant differences in data.
- Coordinates the analysis of program policies and procedures to determine their effect on automated systems and system functional areas.
- Coordinates and/or analyzes user requirements, procedures, and problems to automate or improve existing systems.
- Analyzes computer system capabilities, workflow, scheduling limitations and conduct fit gap analysis.
- Identifies opportunities for improving business processes through automation and assists in the preparation of proposals to develop new systems.
- Designs and implements data analysis and reports using SSRS, Power BI and MS-Excel.
- Implements efficient defect management, root cause analysis, and resolution processes.
- Assists in setting technical direction for the team and analyzes data using standard statistical tools, methods, and techniques.
- Identifies data gaps, errors, anomalies, inconsistencies, and redundancies by analyzing the content, structure, and relationships within data. Interprets results to identify significant differences in data.
- Implements Data Quality check routines and exceptional handling.
- Skills in constructing stored procedures and performance optimization techniques
- Assists in defining, developing, and implementing data standards.
- Develops databases, data collection systems, data analytics, and other strategies that optimize statistical efficiency and quality for machine learning algorithms.
- Develops goals and objectives for the use and improvement of an efficient and cost-effective data system.
- Recommends and implements database security standards and controls, and user access levels.
- Evaluates and recommends database software packages for potential acquisition.
- Maintains confidential and sensitive information.
- Ensures individual and team files (electronic and hard versions) are appropriately maintained and timely disposed of in accordance with the agency’s records retention procedures and schedule.
- Maintains required certifications and licenses and meets the continuing education needs and requirements of the position to include, attending mandatory training courses.
- May be required to operate a state or personal vehicle for business purposes.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- Graduation from an accredited four-year college or university with major course work in Data Science, Business Analytics, Computer Science, Information Science, Information Technology, or a related field.
- Five years of hands-on experience in Data Warehousing, Data Analysis, SQL, Business requirements gathering, BI reporting, delivering insights.
- Relevant education and experience can be substituted on a year-for-year basis.
- Experience with Geographical Information Systems (GIS).
- Knowledge in any cloud-based data technologies (AWS, Snowflake, Azure).
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities (KSAs)
- Knowledge of local, state, and federal laws and regulations relevant to Data Services Department; and of the principles and practices of public administration.
- Knowledge of Windows Server 2012/2016/2019.
- Knowledge of data modeling concepts (star schema, snowflake, denormalization, M/R/HOLAP)
- Knowledge of project management and software development lifecycle.
- Skills in using Microsoft Office programs such as Word, Excel, and Access.
- Skills in use of internet, email, word processing, spreadsheet, presentation, and database software.
- Ability to adhere to work schedules, follow procedures with respect to leave and submit accurate timesheets by prescribed deadlines.
- Ability to make mature, objective decisions and identify areas of potential problems.
- Ability to perform effectively and willingly when changes occur in scope and nature of the work and work environment.
- Ability to perform routine and non-routine work assignments accurately and on-time with little or no supervision.
- Ability to perform assigned duties and improve work habits and/or output.
- Ability to complete assigned work, on time, neatly and with infrequent errors.
- Ability to interpret policies, procedures, and regulations.
- Ability to provide prompt, courteous and accurate assistance and clear and concise communication to internal and external stakeholders both verbally and in writing.
- Ability to work and cooperate with others in a team environment.
- Ability to manage multiple tasks.
- Ability to stand/sit/move with no physical limitations or aids to perform activities such as retrieve/replace files in a large file system for boxes up to 30 lbs.
- Ability and willingness to travel 5% of the time, primarily within the State of Texas.
- Ability to operate a vehicle (state or personal) for state business and maintain a driver’s license and driving record that complies with state and agency requirements.
- Ability to workdays that may exceed 8 hours, including early mornings, nights, and weekends.
- Ability to train others.