Position Summary: We are seeking a Hydraulic Project Engineer with 5+ years’ experience. The successful candidate will have strong proficiency in engineering analysis and design focused on rivers, streams, or wetlands.
The work for this position is primarily in Washington and Oregon, but some projects may require travel to Idaho, Montana, Hawaii, Alaska, and California. NSD is currently using a hybrid model of in-office and remote work. Staff are welcome and encouraged to come into the office as much as possible to build relationships and foster collaboration. We are open to a fully remote working location anywhere in the Pacific Northwest Region for the right candidate with the commitment of some travel on occasion into one of our office locations.
- Technical design and analysis of engineering approaches to restoration of streams, rivers, and wetlands.
- Familiarity with CAD and proficient using CAD design files in AutoCAD Civil 3D and/or Bentley MicroStation/InRoads formats; including surface development and manipulation.
- Lead hydraulic and hydrologic analysis of existing and proposed conditions, including analysis of observational data (e.g., USGS discharge) and implementation of models and software that include HEC-RAS, SRH2D, RiverFlow-2D, HEC-HMS, and HEC-SSP.
- Complete calculations of scour, sizing, and stability for project elements, such as engineered log jams; calculate construction, earthwork, and impact quantities to assist with permitting, cost estimating and developing bid schedules.
- Develop project specifications in conformance with state or federal guidelines (WSDOT, ODOT etc).
- Develop construction cost estimates.
- Write technical narratives describing methodology and results of analyses. Support production of illustrative figures and maps of technical analyses using ArcGIS, Excel, and PowerPoint.
- Actively communicate with and contribute to the project team. Deliver design deliverables on time and within budget. Maintain and track project schedule. Proactively and clearly communicate status and results to colleagues, collaborators, and clients through discussions, presentations, data visualizations, and technical writing. Seek out the best available science to support innovative, cost-effective approaches to support engineering designs that meet project goals.
- Prepare engineering plan sheets illustrating grading plans, culvert or hydraulic structure layout, profile and cross-sections, typical engineering details, revegetation plans, etc.
- BS in Civil Engineering, or related field; or equivalent experience
- 4 years minimum of professional experience working on projects
- Professional Engineer’s license in Civil Engineering for Washington State or highly experienced Engineer-In-Training with the ability to obtain a Washington State PE within one year
- Experience working with hydraulic and hydrologic models such as HEC-RAS, SRH2D, RiverFlow-2D, HEC-HMS, HEC-SSP, or other software applications
- Proficiency with drafting, surface modeling, and grading in AutoCAD Civil 3D and/or Bentley Microstation
- Experience with field data collection, such as site assessments, pebble counts, channel morphology measurements, topographic survey (total station and/or RTK) and field mapping
- Competence with technical writing and technical communication
- Valid Washington State Driver’s License.
- 6+ years of professional experience in river restoration and design related to engineered log jams, culvert replacements, channel design, and floodplain restoration
- Proficiency with ArcGIS platform, including acquiring and importing geospatial and remote sensing data, geospatial analysis using spatial analyst and 3D analyst tools, and cartography
- Experience working with and analyzing large digital elevation files (e.g., LIDAR) and other gridded datasets (e.g., soils, vegetation, climate)
- Demonstrated understanding of and sensitivity to a range of perspectives on relationships and interconnections with the natural world, such as traditional indigenous knowledge.
NSD offers competitive salary and benefits, including up to a 4% match on 401(K), 7 paid holidays, and up to 4 weeks of paid time off annually.
Estimated September/October 2022, but dependent on right candidate.
Full-time, generally working within the hours of 7 am–7 pm, M-F, with occasional weekend and/or evening work.
Please apply by submitting a resume and cover letter to email@example.com.
Applications will be accepted through August 12th, 2022.
NSD is an equal opportunity employer and candidates who identify with groups that are frequently underrepresented in the science, engineering, technology, and math fields are highly encouraged to apply. All candidates will be considered for employment without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, or protected veteran or disabled status or any other category protected under law.
In compliance with federal law, all persons hired will be required to verify identity and eligibility to work in the United States and to complete the required employment eligibility verification document form upon hire.