Sr. Remediation GIS Analyst - Research Analysis Spec Sr - Job ID 57352
This position exists to provide Remediation Division programs with Geographic Information Systems (GIS) expertise and analysis of program data for contaminated sites. The position assists the programs to define GIS needs, proposes and carries out GIS work to meet those needs, provides training and support to staff doing GIS projects, and produces maps and spatial analyses.
- Bachelor's degree in Environmental Science, Engineering, Computer Science, GIS, or other Natural Science field; Statistics, Environmental Health, Toxicology or other related degree with a broad knowledge of environmental pollutants, natural sciences, data science, or Geographical Information System (GIS) and three (3)years of demonstrated experience conducting data and spatial research and analysis, querying large relational databases, and producing maps and other GIS products from large datasets for both technical and general audiences.
- Must have strong project management and communication skills and the ability to communicate technical information effectively to a variety of audience with varying technical knowledge.
- Expertise in independently designing, developing and conducting data analysis and GIS projects from the examination of a wide variety of datasets.
- Expertise in performing and communicating spatial analysis, qualitative analysis, quantitative analysis, statistical modeling and/or program evaluations in support of program goals and management decision making.
- Expertise in a wide variety of data science (data collection, management, analysis, processing, evaluation, visualization etc.) software such as GIS software, Tableau, SQL Developer, MS Access, Python, R or other statistical analysis software.
- Ability to evaluate and interpret scientific data, reports, and literature.
- Communicate complex technical information in a clear and concise manner to a wide range of audiences, including facilitating discussion between diverse groups in both formal and informal settings.
- Strong listening, writing, and presentation skills.
- Possess an understanding of environmental remediation programs (Superfund, Petroleum Remediation, Brownfield, Closed Landfill).
Requires occasionally moving such articles as file boxes and heavy hand tools or heavier materials with help from others and/or moving light objects frequently. A job is in this category may require maintaining a stationary position to a significant degree or may involve a certain amount of moving necessary in carrying out job duties.
Position duties may require travel but driving is not a minimum qualification or essential function of this position. Employees who may drive for state business will need their driver’s license checked prior to operating a state vehicle.
Why Work For Us
Our mission is to protect and improve the environment and human health. We work with many partners (citizens, communities, and businesses, all levels of government, environmental groups and educators) to prevent pollution, conserve resources, and to help ensure polluting does not have disproportionate impact on any groups of people. We emphasize work-life balance with flex schedules, compressed schedules, and options to telework for some positions.
GREAT BENEFITS PACKAGE! The State of Minnesota offers a comprehensive benefits package including low cost medical and dental insurance, employer paid life insurance, short and long term disability, pre-tax flexible spending accounts, retirement plan, tax-deferred compensation, generous vacation and sick leave, and 11 paid holidays each year.
Our differences make us stronger and leveraging them helps us create a workforce where everyone can thrive. The State of Minnesota is an equal opportunity employer. We are committed to embedding diversity, equity, inclusion, and accessibility at our workplace. We do this by developing strong leaders and advocates, increasing cultural competence and understanding among all employees, and removing institutional barriers and attitudes that prevent employees from advancing as far as their talents will take them. We prohibit discrimination and harassment of any kind based on race, color, creed, religion, national origin, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth and related medical conditions), marital status, familial status, receipt of public assistance, membership or activity in a local human rights commission, disability, genetic information, sexual orientation, gender expression, gender identity, or age.