Open Position: Operations Associate/Manager, Open Impact
San Mateo, CA (hybrid)
Position open on August 1, 2022
Please apply by August 19, 2022
Ideal start date: September 1, 2022
Open Impact is looking for an Operations Associate/Manager to join our team for our next phase of growth and impact. This team member is a highly valued team member and a key ingredient for our success!
About Open Impact
Open Impact makes philanthropy simpler and more meaningful for private donors, foundations, and networks who are committed to the repair and healing of our planet and its people. Drawing from our firm’s rich pool of client engagements, our team’s breadth of experience gives us unique insights into the challenges and opportunities of impactful philanthropy. As a women-founded and led Certified B Corporation® based in California’s Bay Area, we support a more inclusive and sustainable world through the impact of our 100+ client engagements to date and our internal practices.
Our name, Open Impact, seeks to capture our foundational values: impact and openness. We are single-minded in our pursuit of impact for the clients and issues we serve. And we are open about the many approaches that making an impact can take. Our role is to act as guides, translators, trusted counselors, and catalysts to help our clients clarify their purpose toward creating greater impact in the world.
Core Belief and Vision: We believe that wealthy families have an opportunity to build a more just, resilient, and equitable world by how they grow, align, and deploy their assets. We envision a growing global community, that we are a part of, that is actively reimagining philanthropy’s role and deploying its capital and influence in ways that repair and heal our planet and its people.
Mission and Our Role: Open Impact innovates and scales up practices and solutions that equip philanthropists to be exceptional partners for change.
The Operations Associate/Manager is the glue of the firm, providing strong operational support to ensure a consistent culture and that Open Impact is developing user-friendly and scalable systems to help optimize our efficiency and effectiveness as a team. Key responsibilities include:
People Operations. Create a welcoming workplace with consistent people-centered processes for all employees and contractors. Specific responsibilities may include:
- Project manage searches for open positions, ensuring timely responses and respectful management of the process for candidates
- Implement onboarding, training, and offboarding processes
- Cultivate culture of belonging and inclusiveness through thoughtful team-building activities
- Coordinate annual growth review process and employee survey
- Benefits management, including coordination of open enrollment process with broker
Systems Development & Management. Ensure internal systems can scale, iterating them for usability, including:
- Coordinate strategic engagement of clients during and after projects
- Develop and keep updated internal knowledge management systems (Dropbox, GSuite, etc.) and processes, including client document management
- IT support management, training, and systems administration
Administrative Assistance & Finance. Support the team to optimize efficiency of firm operations, including:
- Partner with COO to maintain strong financial systems, providing bookkeeping and accounts receivable support, and coordinating contracts from start to finish
- Coordination of calendar and travel arrangement across team
- Orchestrate team meetings and retreats, including agenda creation in consultation with team, note-taking, and action item follow-up
- Organize flexible physical meeting locations (per hybrid structure) and office supplies inventory
- Special projects. Provide assistance on other internal firm projects as assigned, including managing B Corp recertification, values alignment and improvements
You should be:
- Human-centered-systems-oriented with strong technical skills in Google Suite, Office Suite, Dropbox, and CRM platforms.
- An optimistic critical thinker able to juggle and prioritize a wide range of parallel projects and timelines, with excellent planning and communication skills, judgment, and efficiency.
- A self-starter with an aptitude to navigate ambiguity, drawn to a start-up environment where ideas, systems and structures are iterated, trial and error are expected, and no job is too big or too small.
- Self-motivated, able to work without direct guidance, self-manage, and manage up, particularly in dynamic and remote environments.
- Known for your laser-focus, clarity, and attention to details.
- Knowledgeable, or eager to learn, about the social impact and philanthropic sectors.
- Experienced (3+ years) in operations, administration, project management, or other relevant experience.
Open Impact is a close-knit environment where shared values are very important. As a growing firm, we welcome learning and are open to new and different approaches. Successful candidates should exemplify the following:
- High EQ. Thoughtful, open-minded listener and thought partner with high emotional intelligence.
- Strong Communicator. Believes in the importance of communicating early and often and creates mechanisms for doing so.
- Collaborative yet independent. Collaborative with experience flexibly supporting and leading teams, while also being comfortable working independently and being resourceful and accountable. Highly adaptable and humble in work style and approach.
- High integrity. Impeccable reputation for integrity and judgment; models ethics and trustworthiness in all actions. Able to maintain confidentiality and discretion. Able to establish and maintain credibility and trust.
Location and Travel
Open Impact is currently a remote-first hybrid workplace. The team meets in-person regularly (up to five days per month) in Burlingame and San Mateo, and this position travels regularly within the Bay Area. Staff must be fully vaccinated, or have an approved medical or religious exemption, and follow our COVID safety policy.
Depending on experience, we offer two salary ranges, in accordance with Open Impact’s equity-focused salary scale:
- Operations Associate: with minimum two years of related experience, the base annual salary range is $68,000 - $78,000
- Operations Manager: with minimum four years of related experience, the base annual salary range is $82,000 - $92,000
Open Impact offers a comprehensive benefits package for full-time staff that includes fully paid health insurance (medical, dental, and vision), five weeks of paid time off, ten paid holidays, short-term and long-term disability insurance, life insurance, commuter benefits, a retirement plan, and reimbursement for work-from-home expenses. Open Impact prioritizes professional development for all staff and strives to offer flexibility for working parents and caregivers.
Open Impact is an equal opportunity employer. We are committed to building a diverse team and strongly encourage BIPOC, women, nonbinary people, LGBTQ+ people, persons with disabilities, veterans, and persons from other underrepresented groups to apply.