CO - P0271 - VWP PERMITTING SPECIALIST
ENVIRONMENTAL SPECIALIST II (VWP PERMITTING SPECIALIST) – P0271
Salary Range - $51,000 - $82,000
The Agency: Do you desire a career that provides you with opportunities to improve the world around you? The Virginia Department of Environmental Quality (DEQ) is seeking diverse individuals from all backgrounds to apply for a career position that will make a direct impact on improving the lives of Virginia citizens. At DEQ, our Mission is to protect and enhance the environment of Virginia in order to promote the health and well-being of the Commonwealth’s citizens, residents, and visitors in accordance with applicable laws and regulations. Our Vision is that all Virginians enjoy cleaner water, better air quality, and the productive reuse of land that was once contaminated.
What you will be doing: The Department of Environmental Quality, Water Permitting Division, Office of Wetlands & Stream Protection seeks a highly qualified candidate to determine the environmental impact of proposed VDOT and private linear transportation projects, and issue permits for these projects, as appropriate, by using planning and analytical skills in the evaluation of permit applications to assess impacts to wetlands, water quality, fish and wildlife resources, and beneficial uses of State waters. Ensures that permits employ best engineering principles, pollution prevention approaches, and/or pollution control approaches whenever appropriate. Performs site inspections for permit applications, as necessary, in order to verify the information supplied. Prepares draft permit conditions for approval by section manager within the timeframes specified in the VWP Regulation. Participates in public outreach, meetings, and hearings related to VWP permits. Ensures compliance with issued permits by performing site inspections; preparing site visit reports and issuing warning letters if appropriate; reviewing monitoring reports and tracking compliance with permit conditions; referring the project to DEQ enforcement if warranted. Assists in the preparation of agency responses to inquiries made by public or other state and federal agencies, and assists in preparing agency responses to NEPA and EIR requests. Assists with CEDS related data requests and reports for programmatic/operational reports. Provides responses to projects VDOT submits for review through the SERP process. Maintains the VDOT Monthly Spreadsheet for small projects.
· Preferred - Degree in environmental science or engineering, biological or ecological sciences, wetland ecology, natural resources management, soil science, or related fields or a combination of education and experience.
· Demonstrated experience in aquatic biology, hydrology, botany, wetland ecology, soil science, or environmental science.
· Candidates must have a demonstrated proficiency in federal and state wetland statutes, regulations, policies, and practices
· Experience with reviewing/issuing permits for transportation projects; analyzing and reviewing construction plans; and inspecting construction projects.
· Strong analytical skills, organizational skills, negotiation skills, facilitation skills, and interpersonal skills.
· Must be able to manage routine projects independently with a moderate level of supervision for more complex projects, as well as be an integral part of a fast-paced, productive team.
· Demonstrated ability to make presentations to large and diverse audiences.
· Demonstrated ability to effectively use computer systems and software to include Microsoft Office products and basic statistical software.
· Preferred - Wetland Professional in Training (WPIT), Professional Wetland Scientist (PWS), Professional Wetland Delineator (PWD), and Erosion & Sedimentation Control Inspector certifications are beneficial.
· A valid state driver's license is required.
Why DEQ? DEQ employs a wide range of professionals in varying fields – from engineers and scientists to information technology and communications specialists. All positions work collectively toward one goal: safeguarding Virginia’s diverse and abundant natural resources, which benefit agriculture, industry, and commerce, and provide a rich environment for people, plants and wildlife. If you seek to be a part of this Mission, Vision, and culture, while also enjoying a wide range of state benefits, we encourage you to join today. To learn more about our agency, please visit our website at https://www.deq.virginia.gov
Please Read Carefully:
The Commonwealth of Virginia welcomes all applicants authorized to work in the United States. Sponsorship is not provided; therefore, applicants must be a citizen or national of the U.S., a Lawful Permanent Resident, or an alien authorized to work.
Excluding current DEQ Employees, the selected candidate MUST pass a criminal background check.
The Application Process: Individuals desiring to be considered for this position must submit a completed employment application or you may attach a resume, before the position’s closing date. Applications received after the closing date will not be considered. Applicants are encouraged to be specific regarding job-related knowledge, skills and abilities. Applications submitted via postal mail, email, or fax will not be considered.
Our Commitment: DEQ is an equal opportunity employer by both policy and practice. We are committed to building a diverse and inclusive work environment with employees who reflect our communities and enthusiastically serve them. All applicants are considered for employment without regard to race, sex, color, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, veteran status, political affiliation, genetic information, or against otherwise qualified persons with disabilities. It is DEQ’s intent that its employment and personnel policies and practices conform to all applicable federal, state, and local laws and regulations regarding nondiscrimination. DEQ will provide if requested, reasonable accommodation to applicants in need of accommodation in order to provide access to the application and/or interview process. If any assistance is needed, please contact DEQ Human Resources Office at 804-698-4000.
The Commonwealth of Virginia Values Veterans: DEQ is a proud member of the Commonwealth of Virginia Values Veterans (V3) Program, authorized under the Code of Virginia (§2.2-2001.2). We are committed to hiring and retaining qualified Veterans.