Postdoctoral Research Associate - Data Science
Requisition Id 8827
Oak Ridge National Laboratory is the largest US Department of Energy science and energy laboratory, conducting basic and applied research to deliver transformative solutions to compelling problems in energy and security.
We are seeking a Postdoctoral Research Associate who will support the Mathematics in Computation Section in the Computer Science and Mathematics Division, Computing and Computational Science Directorate at Oak Ridge National Laboratory (ORNL). The Postdoctoral Research Associate will conduct exceptional and innovative research in mathematics, statistics and scientific computing, for applications with scientific and national priority.
ORNL’s mathematics research efforts provide the fundamental mathematical methods and algorithms needed to model complex physical, chemical, and biological systems. ORNL’s computational science research efforts enable scientists to efficiently implement these models at the extreme scale of computing and to store, manage, analyze, and visualize the massive amounts of data that result. ORNL’s artificial intelligence research provides the techniques to link the data producers, e.g., supercomputers and large experimental facilities, with the data consumers, i.e., scientists who need the data.
The selected individual will join a team that is developing probabilistic and ensemble machine learning methods
for foundational AI models. The junior scientist will also participate in several on-going research projects across the lab, will have access to advanced computer architectures and high performance machines (such as FRONTIER), and have first-hand opportunities to facilitate technology transfer from the laboratory research environment to industry and academia. MiC has a strong mentoring culture that provides junior scientists career and research guidance.
- Contribute research to one (or more) of ORNL’s principal areas of research in mathematics and computer science
- Collaborate with a highly diverse multidisciplinary team
- Report research results in open literature journals, technical reports, and at relevant conferences
- A PhD in Mathematics, Statistics, Physics, Computer Science, or a related field completed within the last 5 years
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
- Motivated self-starter with the ability to work independently and to participate creatively in collaborative teams across the laboratory
- Ability to function well in a fast-paced research environment, set priorities to accomplish multiple tasks within deadlines, and adapt to ever changing needs
- Extensive background in theoretical and applied probability, statistical physics, theoretical statistics, foundational aspects of data science or artificial intelligence
How to apply:
Qualified applicants may apply online at http://www.jobs.ornl.gov. The posting will remain active the position is filled.
- A complete curriculum vitae;
- A research statement, including the technical background and significance of your research;
- Three letters of reference describing the applicant’s distinct contributions to their field of research. Please have letters sent to Ms. Kasi Arnold at email@example.com with "HPEC Post-Doc” as the subject line.
Instructions to upload documents to your candidate profile:
- Login to your account via jobs.ornl.gov
- View Profile
- Under the My Documents section, select Add a Document
For more information about the position, or for technical questions, please contact Dr. Juan M. Restrepo (firstname.lastname@example.org).
Applicants cannot have received their Ph.D. more than five years prior to the date of application and must complete all degree requirements before starting their appointment. The appointment length will be for up to 24 months with the potential for extension. Initial appointments and extensions are subject to performance and the availability of funding.
Moving can be overwhelming and expensive. UT-Battelle offers a generous relocation package to ease the transition process. Domestic and international relocation assistance is available for certain positions. If invited to interview, be sure to ask your Recruiter (Talent Acquisition Partner) for details.
For more information about our benefits, working here, and living here, visit the “About” tab at jobs.ornl.gov.
This position will remain open for a minimum of 5 days after which it will close when a qualified candidate is identified and/or hired.
We accept Word (.doc, .docx), Adobe (unsecured .pdf), Rich Text Format (.rtf), and HTML (.htm, .html) up to 5MB in size. Resumes from third party vendors will not be accepted; these resumes will be deleted and the candidates submitted will not be considered for employment.
If you have trouble applying for a position, please email ORNLRecruiting@ornl.gov.
ORNL is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants, including individuals with disabilities and protected veterans, are encouraged to apply. UT-Battelle is an E-Verify employer.