Intern, Equity Business Hedging Quantitative Research Associate
Balyasny Asset Management L.P. (BAM) is a global institutional investment firm. We strive to deliver consistent, uncorrelated, absolute returns in all market environments by fostering a culture of research, innovation, and collaboration.
BAM exists at the intersection of finance and technology, combining the deep industry knowledge of leading portfolio managers and financial analysts with software engineers and quantitative researchers. We leverage the collective expertise of our teams to seek out new investment opportunities, analyze market conditions, minimize risk, and provide superior service to our investment partners.
With 500+ people in offices around the world, we embrace a culture that welcomes the free flow of ideas, promotes career development, and supports the health and wellbeing of our people through world-class benefits.
· Work with Equities’ Risk Hedging team (Equity Risk Portfolio Construction) on data analysis, modelling and hedge portfolio back-test / simulation and research process improvements.
· Research and deliver insights related to risk measures, actionable takeaways to incorporate in the firm’s equity hedge book construction.
· Improve analytics, reporting / back-testing framework components / analyze new data sets or existing ones modelled better for the purpose of hedging / study instruments and their impact on hedge trading and overall goals
QUALIFICATIONS & REQUIREMENTS
In order to effectively represent the Company and do well in the role, must be someone who is:
· Graduate Students or PhD students in Engineering, Computer Science, Quantitative Finance, Operational Research, Financial Engineering, Econometrics, Mathematics, Statistics, Machine Learning or related field
· Well-rounded students with an outstanding track record of academic achievement, broad based extra-curricular interests and a passion for financial markets
· Prior experience or education in Finance is a plus
· Ability to work 40 hours per week in the Summer
The ideal candidate for the position will be someone who has or is interested in:
· Solid programming skills (Python/SQL experience required)
· Following good software / coding practices
· Comfortable working with complex and large datasets
· Familiarity with data science, machine learning, options or portfolio optimization is a plus
· Experience with financial/ portfolio management concepts and quantitative methods
· Strong problem solving skills and ability to identify and implement appropriate solutions
· Outstanding track record of academic achievement, and a strong interest in financial markets
· Result driven attitude, ability to work under pressure, and desire to work collaboratively in a team
· High standard of professionalism in all situations
· Ability to prioritize and manage multiple tasks and projects concurrently to meet/exceed deadline
· Ability to communicate complex ideas clearly; solid analytical, writing, verbal, technical skills
· Outstanding attention to detail and strong organization skills