Intern, Data Engineer (Summer '23)
The Data Engineering Platform (DEP) team designs, implements, and supports Platform As A Service (PaaS) and IaaS (Infrastructure As A Service)/IaC (Infrastructure as Code) needs for Constellation Brands (CBI). The Snowflake Data Platform is the backbone for storing, computing, and execution of Data Analytics (DA) capabilities across the enterprise, which include self-service reporting, visual/business analytics, data science, consulting, and data governance. The Data Engineer will be responsible for a multitude of capabilities, including learning and developing within the Snowflake platform; building data pipelines aligned to industry standards for CI/CD (Continuous Integration/Continuous Delivery); working with a variety of legacy and modernized data sources; and learning and applying the principles of DaaP (Data As A Product) within a high-performing, cloud-based environment. Finally, the Data Engineer will also learn the capabilities of Constellation’s enterprise-wide strategic initiatives and support said initiatives as appropriate.
- Build strong, authentic relationships with engineering peers and management.
- Understand and champion the needs and expectations of the DEP as it pertains to CBI’s Data Analytics Roadmap.
- Understand the high-level needs and responsibilities of CBI’s core Data Analytics users and the IT technical teams responsible for supporting the platform and its processes.
- Learn and apply the primary principles of forward-facing technology concepts, such as decentralized domain-driven design and product-driven design.
- Learn and apply the primary principles of DevOps and DataOps.
- Learn and apply CI/CD best practices to facilitate delivery of quality code.
- Participate in peer programming and code reviews.
- Analyze the ingestion and performance of moderate to large data sets into the DEP from disparate data sources, including but not limited to, relational databases, flat files, and cloud technology.
- Become familiar with Agile or Agile-adjacent SDLC methodology and participate in its core principles, in support of Kanban/Scrum.
- Coordinate with BI (Business Intelligence) product owners, (with guidance from senior engineers/management), to ensure consistency, continuity, and integration of Data As A Product (DaaP) for various lines of business.
- Build an understanding of current DevOps processes and procedures and how the DevOps team interacts with the Platform team in driving improvements to the DEP.
- Build an understanding of current data governance (DG) industry standards and the importance of DG as a dependency of the platform.
- Build an understanding of Data Analytics (DA) and the importance of its sub-disciplines as a dependency of the platform.
- Assist the Data Platform Engineering team in defining and executing approved project priorities and deliverables, including ad hoc requests.
- Collaborate with the Snowflake Manager, Data Engineering director, and other peers to grow organizational proficiency and understanding of the DEP’s team responsibilities and capabilities.
- Support and distribute communications to other CBI project teams, including but not limited to: project roll-outs, feature definition, educational topics, and enhancement/defect/evolution requests.
- Provide research and efficiency recommendations for projects with evolving and fluid technologies.
- Support a culture that has a high sense of urgency, commitment to continuous improvement, and a sense of accountability.
- Foster a sense of personal trust, responsibility, and openness with CBI peers and management.
- Perform additional duties and responsibilities as needed.
- Currently pursuing an Associate’s, Bachelor’s, or Master’s degree or has supplemental work experience in one of the following domains:
- Computer Science/Software Engineering/Data Engineering
- Information, Sciences, and Technology
- Management Information Systems
- Business/Advanced Analytics & Reporting
- Data Science
- Proficiency in Office products (i.e., Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and Outlook) is mandatory.
o Experience with Visio, SharePoint, Project, Access, and Teams is preferred, but not required
o Experience in querying and extracting data from relational database sources, within Oracle.
o Adjacent experience in other database (i.e., Teradata, DB2, SQL Server, PostgresSQL) and SQL
- Experience working with data within Snowflake is a large plus, but not required
- Experience working with cloud technology (i.e., AWS) is a large plus, but not required
- Experience working with GitHub
- Experience working with JSON and Python is a large plus, but not required
- Experience working with DBT and Airflow is a large plus, but not required
- Strong ability to prioritize assigned tasks, with guidance from senior engineers and leadership
- Self-starter, highly motivated, and possesses excellent written/verbal quantitative skills, which are counterbalanced by creative thinking and innovative approaches to problem solving
- Ability to manage and abstract the business value of moderate to large datasets
- Showcase confidence, assertiveness, and a passion for learning on the job
- Tenacious yet discerning of potential roadblocks to success and negative impacts to projects at large
- Can speak to personal experience and interpretation of the four pillars to Data Strategy Success: Data, People, Tools, and Processes