Assistant Director, Special Events
Position: Assistant Director, Special EventsPosition Summary:
In this highly collaborative role, the Assistant Director of Special Events plans and implements events designed to achieve Boys & Girls Clubs of Boston’s strategic fundraising goals, build brand awareness, and engage a broad spectrum of donors and volunteers. Together with the Senior Director of Business Development and Special Events, this role also provides insight and support to the strategic visioning process and is responsible for logistical support to produce BGCB’s signature events, Annual Dinner, Club Night, and House Party. The position is the assistant project manager for BGCB’s signature fundraising events and produces and manages a variety of fundraising, cultivation, and stewardship events for the Clubs, YouthConnect, and business units within the Development and Operations teams. The Assistant Director, Special Events carries a portfolio of donors to support annual revenue goals and is a team player who can work independently within a fast-paced work environment.
This position is based at our Main Office, 200 High Street Boston, MA and is eligible to apply for a hybrid (in-office and remote) work model. It is a full-time position, Monday – Friday, 9am-5pm with flexibility to attend events and meetings as needed.
Our Mission: The mission of Boys & Girls Clubs of Boston is to help young people, especially those who need us most, build strong character and realize their full potential as responsible citizens and leaders. We do this by providing: a safe haven filled with hope and opportunity, ongoing relationships with caring adults, and life-enhancing programs.
- Youth First – We keep children and teens at the forefront of every action and decision to elevate members’ voices.
- Integrity – We conduct ourselves with honesty and transparency and strive to do the right thing, every day, and every time.
- Community – We foster an inclusive culture by celebrating diversity and respecting the inherent dignity and worth of everyone.
- Equity – We commit to providing opportunities to create just outcomes that honor the needs, experiences, and values of our community, especially those with marginalized identities.
- Innovation – We apply a forward-thinking approach that encourages teamwork, adaptability, strategy, intention, and creativity to address today’s challenges and build positive futures for all members.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Works closely with the Nicholas President and CEO, Vice President of Development, Associate Vice President of Marketing and Communications, and Senior Director of Business Development and Special Events to conceptualize programming, and develop goals and strategies for each assigned event. Ensure that event programming, messaging and details reflect and achieve event goals.
- Successfully conceptualize, plan, and execute event logistics for assigned fundraising events, producing high-quality work designed to achieve/exceed BGCB’s fundraising goals and increase brand awareness for the agency’s mission.
- Works with the Senior Director of Business Development and Special Events to develop systems, protocols, and best practices to ensure all BGCB events are consistently exceptional high-caliber occasions that highlight BGCB’s positive impact on Boston and Chelsea’s young people.
- Manage event coordinator position
- Work with Event Coordinator to track and provide input on revenue and expense projections. Ensure timely data entry, financial transactions, gift acknowledgments, invoicing, and financial reporting.
- Actively participate in the annual budgeting process.
- With the Event Coordinator, create and manage detailed planning timelines and task assignments for assigned fundraising events. Lead all Development event planning and production meetings.
- With Event Coordinator, manage all volunteers for events. Ensure clear communication, management, and follow-up.
- Work closely with BGCB’s Marketing and Communications team to maximize attendance and create compelling event collateral and programs that work to achieve revenue goals.
- Work with BGCB leadership to successfully communicate with event committees as assigned. Ensure committee members have the resources necessary to be successful BGCB solicitors.
- Manage all key vendor relationships including caterers, floral design, liquor, parking, hotel, and consultant relationships surrounding BGCB’s assigned fundraising events.
- Provide excellent customer service and fulfillment to all event sponsors.
- Develops and manages a comprehensive event calendar that encompasses all Development department and Club events; clearly communicating staff leads, deadlines, and potential conflicts. Works with frontline fundraisers, leadership, and marketing and communications to make sure all events are updated in a timely manner. Ensures the calendar is easily accessible for all users.
- With Event Coordinator:
- Manage on-site event production.
- Manage post-event follow-up with donors, staff, event sponsors, and vendors.
- Support Club and Operations event activities as necessary.
- Travel between sites and to activities as necessary.
General BGCB Expectations:
- Healthy Behavior Modeling – Teaching youth/teens the importance of living an active, healthy lifestyle is a BGCB priority. As a result, all staff is expected to model healthy behavior while working with our members.
- Inclusive Environment – BGCB values creating child-friendly environments, where youth/teens of all abilities can be successful and participate. BGCB expects employees to embrace its focus on the inclusion of all members, regardless of disability or developmental challenge.
- Continuous Learning – Building the capacity of staff is central to BGCB. The organization encourages and requires that all staff participates in annual professional development opportunities that continue to cultivate their skills in the youth development field.
- Safe Spaces – Every staff member shares the responsibility for ensuring BGCB is, and remains, an environment free of sexual, physical, or emotional abuse.
Position Requirements (Education, Experience, Knowledge, Skills, Abilities, Work Demands)
- Bachelor’s Degree required
- Minimum of 5 years experience in Development, communications, public relations, marketing, and/or event management.
- Self-motivated and resourceful with superior organizational and time management skills.
- Excellent interpersonal skills and ability to work collaboratively with other advancement and finance team members, senior management, and BGCB Board volunteers/members.
- Must be a team player with the ability to work independently.
- Attention to detail and ability to manage multiple projects is critical.
- Ability to problem solve on the spot and respond with tact, diplomacy, and poise.
- Ability to represent BGCB at fundraising events and meetings and to work well with a broad range of constituencies.
- Proven experience working with and managing vendors.
- Solid writing and verbal communication skills.
- Ability to maintain a high level of donor and organization confidentiality.
- Willingness to work occasional evenings as event and project deadlines dictate.
- Able to travel to off-site Clubs, meetings, and events regularly.
- Must be willing to join a quick-paced energetic Development team, and work with a group of talented, committed volunteers.
- Strong computer skills required. Knowledge of Microsoft Office, Raiser’s Edge, and, design software is strongly preferred.