Global Managing Director, Climate
Who We Are:
The Nature Conservancy’s mission is to protect the lands and waters upon which all life depends. As a science-based organization, we create innovative, on-the-ground solutions to our world’s toughest challenges so that we can create a world in which people and nature thrive. We’re rooted in our Mission and guided by our Values, which includes a Commitment to Diversity and Respect for People, Communities, and Cultures. Whether it’s career development, flexible schedules, or a rewarding mission, there’s lots of reasons to love life #insideTNC. Want a better insight to TNC? Check out our TNC Talent playlist on YouTube or on Glassdoor.
Our goal is to cultivate an inclusive work environment so that all our colleagues around the globe feel a sense of belonging, and that their unique contributions to our mission are valued. We know we’ll only achieve our Mission by hiring and engaging a diverse workforce that reflects the communities in which we work. In addition to the requirements in our postings, we recognize that people come with talent and experiences outside of a job. Diversity of experience and skills combined with passion is a key to innovation and a culture of inclusion! Please apply – we’d love to hear from you. To quote myriad TNC staff members, “you’ll join for our mission, and you’ll stay for our people.”
What We Can Achieve Together:
The Global Managing Director, Climate, provides strategic leadership and management to the Climate Team to ensure that TNC climate change strategies and activities reflect and align with TNC’s overall 2030 Goals as they relate to the global environment. They are responsible for the efficient and effective development and execution of the organizational climate strategy to help the world mitigate emissions and adapt to climate change. As the leading spokesperson for the organization on Climate issues, the GMD represents the Conservancy internally and externally to an array of audiences on a global scale and is responsible for fundraising in the public and private sector to ensure that sufficient resources are available to accomplish the work.
We’re Looking for You:
Are you looking for work you can believe in? At TNC we strive to embody a philosophy of “Work that You Can Believe In” where you can feel like you are making a difference every day. We’re looking for someone with strong experience in leading a diverse, multi-disciplinary team and who has specific expertise and credibility as a leading voice on Climate Change issues.
The ideal candidate will have a strong collaborative nature, a servant leadership style, a deep understanding of climate change challenges and a strong reputation in the field. They will possess strong people management experience, the ability to make difficult decisions and the ability to understand diverse perspectives and a proponent of knowledge sharing and transformational change initiatives.
The location for this position is flexible within countries where The Nature Conservancy has an
established office. Salary is based on physical working location.
What You’ll Bring:
• Graduate degree in Science, Business, Natural Resource Management or other relevant field and 10+ years experience including 5 years experience at an Executive level in the international conservation field, or equivalent combination.
• Experience in leading and managing a large multi-disciplinary team, including senior level professionals.
• Experience working within a network or matrixed organization with demonstrated ability to drive results.
• Experience in fundraising including cultivation of major donors.
• Demonstrated experience and work in Global Climate Change especially with how this work touches down in the global south.
• Experience in managing projects.
• Experience in evaluating and/or negotiating complex, high profile or sensitive agreements.
• Experience working within the political, social, and community structures within the environmental space and on a global, international scale.
• Experience communicating with and presenting to diverse audiences including donors, board members, employees, outside partners, or equivalent.
• Fluency in English with multi-cultural experience.
• Proven experience to engage, motivate, lead, set objectives for a team of professionals.
• Ability to foster an environment of creativity and professional growth in a complex, multi- cultural environment.
• Excellent contacts throughout the climate space on a global scale.
• Strong capacity to influence others without authority.
• Experience dealing with challenges, identifying important issues and conceiving and implementing strategic initiatives.
• Experience in systems thinking.
• Strong emotional intelligence and awareness.
• Superb communication and presentation skills; ability to persuasively convey the mission of TNC and regional programs and priorities to diverse groups, including donors, partners,
Board members and others who are critical to the organization’s overall prosperity.
What We Bring:
Since 1951, The Nature Conservancy has been doing work you can believe in protecting the lands and waters that all life depends on. Through grassroots action, TNC has grown to become one of the most effective and wide-reaching environmental organizations in the world. Thanks to more than 1 million members, over 400 scientists, and the dedicated efforts of our diverse staff, we impact conservation throughout the world!
The Nature Conservancy offers a competitive, comprehensive benefits package including: health care benefits, flexible spending accounts, 401(k) plan including employer match, parental leave, accrued paid time off, life insurance, disability coverage, employee assistance program, other life and work wellbeing benefits. Learn more about our benefits at in the Culture Tab on nature.org/careers.
We’re proud to offer a work-environment that is supportive of the health, wellbeing, and flexibility needs of the people we employ!
This description is not designed to be a complete list of all duties and responsibilities required for this job.
HOW TO APPLY
Visit www.nature.org/careers and apply online with cover letter & resume to job #53035 or apply directly HERE. All resumes and required cover letters must be submitted through The Nature
Conservancy’s online application system. If you experience technical problems with the site or application process, please contact email@example.com and include the job opening ID. Applications will be reviewed in the order they’re received, and the position will remain open until filled.