Sales Associate I – Alcatraz (Seasonal)
The Golden Gate National Parks Conservancy is the nonprofit partner of the National Park Service overseeing the Golden Gate National Recreation Area, Fort Point National Historic Site, and Muir Woods National Monument — 82,000 acres of national parkland spanning the San Francisco Bay Area, including Muir Woods, Ocean Beach, Crissy Field, and Alcatraz Island. The Parks Conservancy is a membership organization created to preserve the Golden Gate National Parks, enhance the experiences of park visitors, and build a community dedicated to conserving the parks for the future.
With our local and federal partners, the Parks Conservancy is committed to the work of supporting Bay Area national parks as places where we can further racial and social justice for our community and climate resilience for these protected lands.
Be a part of history and work to support The Golden Gate National Parks in one of the most unique retail jobs in the world. Whether you are a seasoned retail professional or just getting started in your career, join our dedicated team of individuals committed to creating a one-of-a-kind experience for guests to commemorate their visit with products that share the history of the iconic Alcatraz Island.
Essential Functions and Responsibilities:
• Deliver a check-out experience that is pleasant, efficient, and accurate
• Enthusiastically share the history of Alcatraz and incorporate those stories to sell the stores’ products.
• Actively heighten visitors’ interests by sharing Alcatraz stories accurately, answering the questions in an authentic and friendly manner, and being informative about current exhibitions, The Golden Gate National Parks, and surrounding destinations.
• Provide basic upkeep to ensure a clean and presentable store and workspace.
• Assist in maintaining products through restocking, folding, and processing.
• Other duties and projects assigned by the manager.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
• Ability to operate a POS system efficiently and accurately
• Ability to comfortably interact with big groups of people and work in a fast-paced environment in one of the most visited National Park sites.
• Ability to learn the history of Alcatraz that could be integrated with the upselling of products in the stores
• Previous retail or customer service experience is a plus
• Bilingual abilities are a plus.
• Must exhibit punctuality and have flexible availability (including weekends, holidays, and closing shifts)
Health and Safety:
It is the goal of the Parks Conservancy to create and maintain a safe and healthy workplace. We work to mitigate hazards and risks that may cause harm to employees, consistent with state and federal laws. Employees play an active role in creating a safe and healthy workplace and are expected to comply with all applicable health and safety rules.
Based on the current state of the COVID-19 pandemic, the Parks Conservancy requires all employees, interns, and independent contractors to be vaccinated and to provide proof of such vaccination as a condition of employment or performing contract work.
Physical Requirements and Work Environments:
• Work requires staff to take the Ferry from Pier 33 to get to Alcatraz Island
• Work is performed on the three retail stores located on Alcatraz Island: The Dock Store, the Theater Store, and the Museum Store
• Frequently lifts, carries, and positions objects weighing up to 50 pounds. • Regularly requires a walk up a hill that is equivalent to a 13-story climb.
• Work is primarily performed standing or walking for 6 to 8 hours per day.
Pay Grade/ Wage Rate: Pay grades is 7. Wage rate is $20/hour. This is a seasonal, non-benefited position. This seasonal assignment is anticipated to end on November 5, 2023.
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by people assigned to this classification. They are not to be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties, and skills required of personnel so classified. All employees may be required to perform duties outside of their normal responsibilities from time to time, as needed.
The Golden Gate National Parks Conservancy is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Recruitment, placement and promotions are conducted without regard to an individual's race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, physical handicap, veteran status or sexual orientation, or any other classification protected by Federal, State, and local laws & ordinances. We will consider qualified candidates with criminal history in a manner consistent with the requirements of the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance. All qualified applicants are encouraged to apply.