Sales Associate I (Weekend Part-time) - Golden Gate Bridge Welcome Center
The Golden Gate National Parks Conservancy is the nonprofit partner of the National Park Service overseeing the Golden Gate National Recreation Area — 82,000 acres of national parkland spanning the San Francisco Bay Area, including Muir Woods, Ocean Beach, Crissy Field, and Alcatraz Island. The Parks Conservancy is a membership organization created to preserve the Golden Gate National Parks, enhance the experiences of park visitors, and build a community dedicated to conserving the parks for the future.
With our local and federal partners, the Parks Conservancy is committed to the work of supporting Bay Area national parks as places where we can further racial and social justice for our community and climate resilience for these protected lands.
The Interpretive Centers and Sales Department is responsible for developing and operating visitor centers throughout the Golden Gate National Parks, providing visitor information, orientation, and other direct services. Conservancy Interpretive Centers provide educational, functional, and proprietary park merchandise along with changing park exhibits. The department develops park books, maps, and interpretive and branded products, manages warehousing and distribution, operates the Muir Woods Fee Collection program, and develops and operates the Conservancy’s online sales and wholesale programs. Interpretive Centers include Alcatraz Park Stores, Muir Woods Visitor Center, Lands End Lookout, Warming Hut, Fort Point Park Store, Golden Gate Bridge Welcome Center, and Presidio Visitor Center.
The Part-Time Sales Associate I is responsible for delivering outstanding visitor services, selling interpretive merchandise and books to help achieve sales goals, maintaining the visual, store, and merchandising standards, assisting with inventory management, accurate operations of cash register and cash handling, and completing other tasks and duties as directed by Managers, Supervisors, and Sales Associates II. Additionally, this role may be asked to provide information about park history and trails, San Francisco landmarks, and the GG Parks Conservancy. All candidates must be willing to work a flexible schedule that may include both weekend days and holidays.
- Welcome, engage, and deliver exceptional service to all visitors.
- Sell interpretive and educational merchandise to help the Conservancy meet daily sales goals.
- Answer all visitor questions with courtesy, accuracy, and appropriateness.
- Maintain positive and respectful relationships with GGBHTD, National Park Service, U.S. Park Police, Park Partners, and Parks Conservancy colleagues.
- Maintain clean and organized work areas including floor, backroom, and storage spaces, refilling supplies as needed.
- Communicate any safety, product, facilities, or maintenance issues to Managers and Supervisors
- In the absence of Supervisors or Managers, communicate directly to Bridge Patrol when there are immediate emergencies or threats to colleagues or visitors. Notify Supervisors and Managers as soon as possible
Visitor Information and Orientation
- Provide orientation for GGNRA, GGNPC, Golden Gate Bridge, trails, history, natural history, San Francisco, other parks and visitor centers, and public transportation options
- Promote and sell memberships, explaining the benefits and value of joining the Parks Conservancy and asking for donations through our “round-up” program
- Provide information to visitors about Parks Conservancy programs, projects, volunteer opportunities, and other ways to connect people to the Parks
- Complete all required training to provide the best experience for visitors incorporating safety, de-escalation, and bystander intervention into helping visitors navigate the park, trails, and cultural resources
- Participate in ongoing training in sales, product knowledge, inventory, and Conservancy programs and policies.
Reports To: Retail Manager II, Assistant Manager II, and Supervisors
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Excellent Visitor Services Skills and Sales ability
- Accurate and efficient cashiering skills
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
- Must be professional, flexible, reliable, and able to perform job duties independently with minimal supervision
- Sales, retail, hospitality, museum, park ranger, or related experience.
- Consistent and timely attendance for all scheduled shifts
Education and Experience:
- High school diploma or GED equivalent required.
- 1+ years of previous retail or comparable experience in working with the public.
Health and Safety:
It is the goal of the Parks Conservancy to create and maintain a safe and healthy workplace. We work to mitigate hazards and risks that may cause harm to employees, consistent with state and federal laws. Employees play an active role in creating a safe and healthy workplace and are expected to comply with all applicable health and safety rules.
Based on the current state of the COVID-19 pandemic, the Parks Conservancy requires all employees, interns, and independent contractors to be vaccinated and to provide proof of such vaccination as a condition of employment or performing contract work.
Physical Requirements and Work Environment:
- Work is primarily performed in a retail setting, on the sales floor and stockroom
- Standing and walking most of the day, but also climbing a short ladder, bending, squatting, or kneeling depending on a wide range of duties
- Occasionally lifts, carries, and positions objects/merchandise weighing up to 50 pounds
- Weekend and holiday availability required, excluding Thanksgiving and Christmas
- The Sales Associate I is required to wear a uniform for their scheduled shifts.
- Exploration of the Parks is part of the job to be able to orient visitors based on first-hand knowledge and experience
Pay Rate/Grade: $20/hour; pay grade 7.
Applications will be accepted until the position is filled. When applying, please write a thoughtful cover letter about why you would like to work for the Golden Gate National Parks Conservancy at the Golden Gate Bridge Welcome Center.
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by people assigned to this classification. They are not to be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties, and skills required of personnel so classified. All employees may be required to perform duties outside of their normal responsibilities from time to time, as needed.
The Golden Gate National Parks Conservancy is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Recruitment, placement, and promotions are conducted without regard to an individual's race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, physical handicap, veteran status or sexual orientation, or any other classification protected by Federal, State, and local laws & ordinances. We will consider qualified candidates with criminal history in a manner consistent with the requirements of the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance. All qualified applicants are encouraged to apply.