West Michigan Crew Member
Become a force for nature and a healthy planet by joining the Michigan team!
Who We Are:
The Nature Conservancy’s mission is to protect the lands and waters upon which all life depends. As a science-based organization, we create innovative, on-the-ground solutions to our world’s toughest challenges so that we can create a world in which people and nature thrive. We’re rooted in our Mission and guided by our Values, which includes a Commitment to Diversity and Respect for People, Communities, and Cultures. Whether it’s career development, flexible schedules, or a rewarding mission, there’s lots of reasons to love life #insideTNC. Want a better insight to TNC? Check out our TNC Talent playlist on YouTube on Glassdoor.
Our goal is to cultivate an inclusive work environment so that all our colleagues around the globe feel a sense of belonging, and that their unique contributions to our mission are valued. We’ll only achieve our Mission by hiring and engaging a diverse workforce that reflects the communities in which we work. In addition to the requirements in our postings, we recognize that people come with talent and experiences outside of a job. Diversity of experience and skills combined with passion is a key to innovation and a culture of inclusion! Please apply – we’d love to hear from you. To quote myriad TNC staff members, “you’ll join for our mission, and you’ll stay for our people.”
What We Can Achieve Together:
The West Michigan Crew Member will work as part of a field crew to implement invasive/exotic species removal using mechanical and/or chemical methods, conducts species monitoring and performs preserve management and maintenance activities. The Crew members will use GPS and geographic information systems (GIS) to identify, record and map native and non-native, invasive species. They will use and maintain equipment, power tools, vehicles, trailers, and GPS units. The successful applicant will be able to navigate natural areas with map and GPS.
This position requires frequent travel throughout West Michigan. Travel accommodations will be provided by The Nature Conservancy. This is a full time, temporary position with a duration of 5 months which will be compensated at $17/hour.
We’re Looking for You:
Are you looking for a career to help people and nature? Guided by science, TNC creates innovative, on-the-ground solutions to our world’s toughest challenges so that people and nature can thrive together. We’re looking for someone who is passionate, motivated problem-solver. Come join TNC Michigan and apply today!
RESPONSIBILITIES & SCOPE:
· Supervises no staff, but may help plan and direct preserve work groups, including staff or volunteers.
· Requires working in variable weather conditions, at remote locations, on difficult and hazardous terrain, and under physically demanding circumstances.
· Capable of identifying native and non-native plant species, and animal species to complete preserve management activities.
· Requires considerable physical exertion and/or muscular strain.
· Requires long hours in isolated settings, working closely with coworkers.
· Requires use and maintenance of restoration equipment daily.
· Makes day to day decisions as delegated by supervisor.
· May work under infrequent supervision.
· May interact with preserve visitors and the public.
· Assist Crew Leader and/or Restoration Associate with administrative tasks.
What You’ll Bring:
· High school diploma or GED and 6 months of related experience.
· Experience operating various types of equipment in a safe and efficient manner (e.g. lawn mower, chainsaw, UTV, ATV or OHV, two-way radio, or similar equipment).
· Must be able to obtain related licenses or certifications as required. (e.g. First Aid, CPR, herbicide or pesticide application).
· Multi-lingual skills and multi-cultural or cross-cultural experience appreciated.
· 1 year or more of experience in land management.
· Ability to follow instructions from colleagues/coworkers/team members.
· Ability to work in a team environment.
· Ability to obtain a driver’s license and maintain a good driving record.
· Experience working with or knowledge of natural systems, ability to recognize native/non-native plant and animal species.
· Experience with ARC GIS and GPS units.
· Experience using computers with Microsoft office suite and database systems for maintaining accurate daily work logs, herbicide treatments and other monitoring data.
What We Bring:
Since 1951, The Nature Conservancy has been doing work you can believe in protecting the lands and waters that all life depends on. Through grassroots action, TNC has grown to become one of the most effective and wide-reaching environmental organizations in the world. Thanks to more than 1 million members, over 400 scientists, and the dedicated efforts of our diverse staff, we impact conservation throughout the world!
The Nature Conservancy offers a competitive, comprehensive benefits package including health care benefits, flexible spending accounts, 401(k) plan including employer match, parental leave, accrued paid time off, life insurance, disability coverage, employee assistance program, other life and work wellbeing benefits. Learn more about our benefits at in the Culture Tab on nature.org/careers. We’re proud to offer a work-environment that is supportive of the health, wellbeing, and flexibility needs of the people we employ!
See full job description and apply at www.nature.org/careers. Search for
Job ID 53157. Deadline to apply is 11:59PM EST, April 3rd, 2023.
The Nature Conservancy is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Our commitment to diversity includes the recognition that our conservation mission is best advanced by the leadership and contributions of people of diverse backgrounds, beliefs, and cultures. Recruiting and mentoring staff to create an inclusive organization that reflects our global character is a priority and we encourage applicants from all cultures, races, colors, religions, sexes, national or regional origins, ages, disability status, sexual orientations, gender identities, military, protected veteran status or other status protected by law.
TNC is committed to offering accommodations for qualified individuals with disabilities and disabled veterans in our job application process. If you need assistance or an accommodation due to a disability, please send a note to email@example.com with Request for Accommodation in the subject line.