You are viewing a preview of this job. Log in or register to view more details about this job.
Under the general direction of the Research Scientist Supervisor I, the Senior Health Policy Specialist independently performs a variety of complex research and data analysis projects related to collection, analysis, and reporting of total health care expenditure (THCE) data, quality and equity performance, and other related topics. Implements and coordinates major complex research projects related to the development of spending targets, analyzes performance of health care entities against spending targets, and collaborates with staff in the Heath System Performance Branch to report on the performance of the health care system. 

Supervision Received: Reports to the Research Scientist Supervisor I, Research and Analysis Group.
Physical Demands: Must possess and maintain sufficient strength, agility, endurance, and sensory ability to perform the duties contained in this duty statement with or without reasonable accommodation.
Typical Working Conditions: Requires use of computing devices and phones, frequent face-to-face contact with management, staff, consultants and the public, verbal, written and digital (e-mail) communication, extensive review, analysis and preparation of electronic and written documents, assessment of practical demonstrations, mobility to various areas of the Department, occasional travel and overnight stays to training/conferences or the Los Angeles field office may also be required, and work hours may deviate from core business hours based on the service requirements of the Department.

Do you have the following education or experience?


Incumbents must possess 12 semester or 18 quarter units course work in any combination of a data driven research-related field, such as economics, mathematics, psychology, sociology, demography, geography, anthropology, statistics, data science or a research-related field. This must include at least one course in statistical methods; and
Equivalent to graduation from an accredited college with a bachelor's degree. Work experience may be substituted on a year-for-year basis by applicants who have the required units mentioned above.
A Master's Degree in economics, mathematics, psychology, sociology, demography, geography, anthropology, statistics, data science or a related research-oriented field may be substituted for two years of the required experience. A doctoral degree in the same areas may be substituted for three years of the required experience.
Experience applicable to one of the following patterns may be combined on a proportional basis with experience applicable to the other pattern to meet the total experience requirements.

Research Data Specialist III


Either I
One year of experience in the California state civil service performing data research-oriented duties at a level of responsibility equivalent to that of a Research Data Specialist II; or
Six years of progressively responsible quantitative and qualitative data research experience engaged in the collection, compilation, analysis, and interpretation of data. (Experience applied toward this requirement must include one year of experience performing duties at a level of responsibility equivalent to a Research Data Specialist II.)

If so you may meet the minimum qualifications. Apply now!