Electrical Hardware Design Engineer - Internship 2024 (3-6 month term)
Arista Networks is a fast growing company and an industry leader in the ethernet switch
industry. Our switch systems have touched every corner of the market - from the data centers of
the world’s largest cloud-computing companies, to your local university’s server room, and every
application in between. We design virtually all of the hardware and software that goes into our
products and it’s a badge we wear proudly. This wouldn’t be possible without the likes of
talented engineers who are given the opportunity to fully lead their own projects and the
freedom to think outside the box. Whether you are an intern, a junior engineer or someone
who’s been around the block, one thing is for certain - you will leave your mark. We are looking
for a motivated intern or co-op student to join the Hardware Design Team at our headquarters in
Santa Clara, CA, in the heart of Silicon Valley. In this position, you will gain experience
designing and testing the latest networking technologies.
POTENTIAL JOB RESPONSIBILITIES
- Board level hardware characterization, verification, and in-lab debugging
- When possible, PCB design from architecture definition, including schematic capture, and board layout
- Evaluate components and eval board testing
- Rework and assembly of systems
- System and design documentation
CONCEPTS AND SKILLS YOU MAY LEARN
- Modern CPU and ASIC system architectures
- Digital communication bus architecture such as Ethernet, PCIe, and DDR
- PCB layout and schematic capture
- Voltage regulator design and power delivery strategies for hardware systems
- Verilog programming for CPLD's and FPGA's
- Verifying designs with high speed measurement practices and instruments
- Simulation software for power and signal integrity
ARISTA'S UNIQUE CULTURE
- Awesome Technical Experience: you will work on high power systems that use the latest generation of signals
- High Degree of Responsibility: Whenever possible, interns are given lead responsibility for a design. You could be responsible for the design and production of a real PCB.
- Strong Mentorship: it is part of Arista's culture to ask questions, teach, and learn from others. Interns are assigned experienced mentors and encouraged to participate in the design review process.
- Strong learning skills and interest in electrical engineering concepts and practices.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills are required for communicating with colleagues
- Able to work well on a team and self driven to work independently.
- Thorough understanding of basic electrical engineering concepts
DESIRABLE SKILLS AND KNOWLEDGE
- Prior experience in board level electrical engineering in either designing, debugging, or testing PCB's
- General understanding of hardware architectures and interfaces.
- Basic understanding of signal integrity: filter circuits, crosstalk, and noise
- Experience with power distribution and voltage regulation for hardware systems.
- Understanding of electromagnetic theory and waves.
- Personal electronic projects are great! Show us an example of something that you've built.
- Intern events, such as white-water rafting, paintball, skydiving, etc.
- Game rooms, with board games, ping pong tables, foosball and video game consoles
- Fully stocked break rooms on every floor with free snacks, sodas, fruits, juices, and all sorts of caffeine
- A spacious cafeteria
- An onsite gym and basketball court
- Salary will be disclosed at the interview
TRANSPORTATION AND HOUSING
Interns are expected to find and arrange their own housing, relocation (airfare and work visa
reimbursement is provided), and transportation.